The NACADA Research Committee promotes conditions that advance the body of knowledge within the field of academic advising. In order to accomplish this, the Research Committee:
- Communicates the value of scholarly inquiry, promotes its use in enhancing advising practice, and supports efforts to conduct new research;
- Encourages scholarly inquiry that addresses contemporary and emerging issues in academic advising and higher education from a wide variety of perspectives and methodologies;
- Promotes conditions that empower advisors as contributors of knowledge.
- monitors the status of research being conducted and published in the field.
- communicates the value of research and promotes it within the Association to those actively pursuing or beginning active pursuit of research related to academic advising.
- provides technical support and guidance to those conducting research or desiring to conduct research related to academic advising.
- solicits and reviews applications for NACADA Research Grants and makes recommendations on awarding those grants (Policy Number AD-10).
Committee members serve a two-year term and meet yearly at the NACADA annual conference. Those interested in becoming a member should contact the committee Chair.
NACADA Executive Office Liaison: Leigh Cunningham
Current Committee Chair
Sarah Champlin-Scharff, Chair (2016-2018), Harvard University (2010-2018), Region 1
Susan Campbell, Northeastern University (2013-2019), Region 1
Janet Schulenberg, Penn State University (2006-2018), Region 2
Del Schwab, Penn State University (2014-2018), Region 2
Julie Traxler, Rutgers State University-New Brunswick (2011-2017), Region 2
Quentin Alexander, Longwood University (2017-2019), Region 2
Helen Mulhern Halasz, University of South Carolina (2015-2019), Region 3
Craig McGill, Florida International University (2016-2018), Region 4
Arian Adducchio, Sinclair Community College (2015-2017), Region 5
Shannon Burton, Michigan State University (2011-2019), Region 5
Drew Puroway, University of St Thomas (2014-2018), Region 6
Kristan Venegas, University of Southern California (2015-2018), Region 9
Kiana Shiroma, University of Hawai'i at Manoa (2016-2018), Region 9
David Grey, York St John University (2016-2018), International
Leigh Cunningham, NACADA Executive Office Liaison
Wendy Troxel, Director, NACADA Research Center (ad hoc)
Research-related Resources (General)
NACADA Research Agenda
NACADA Research Grant
Research Committee Reviewed & Approved Surveys
Research Related Questions: The Research Committee seeks to help NACADA members complete their advising research. Address research related questions to the Committee's Research Registry listserv