During each even numbered year (i.e. 2016), the Appointed Division Representative is chosen by the Incoming President. To provide an transparent and equitable recommendation to the Incoming President, the following process was created:
In order to be considered for this position submit a statement of interest (no longer than 1 page) including your past involvement in the CIGD and NACADA. Additionally please include how you will bring diversity to the Commission and Interest Group Division. This is then reviewed by the current Division Representatives and Executive Office Liaison to the CIGD. A recommendation will then be made to the NACADA President-Elect. The President-Elect then reviews all of the statements and the recommendations from the Division Reps; and then appoints the Incoming CIG Division Representative.
NACADA defines diversity from a very broad perspective, which includes diversity in regard to ethnicity, gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation as well as diversity in regard to institutional type, size, and employment position. Involvement in the association also is viewed broadly including leadership at many levels (within the division units, at the division level, at the Council level, at the Board of Directors level, and with the various work groups, ad hoc committees, Advisory Boards, and task forces), serving with the Consultant and Speaker Service, writing for the NACADA Journal, Academic Advising Today, and the NACADA Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources, or presenting at state, allied member, regional, and annual conferences.
If you would like to be considered for the position, you must submit your statement of interest to Executive Office Liaison, Elisa Shaffer, email@example.com.
Appointment Process Timeline:
- January 1 - March 1: Letters of Interest are sent to the Executive Office Liaison
- March 1 - March 15: Letters are reviewed by the current Division Representatives and Executive Office Liaison
- March 15: Recommendation for new representative submitted to NACADA President-Elect
- March - April: NACADA President-Elect appoints new Commission & Interest Group Representative
- April - October: New representative shadows current representatives
- October: New representative takes office for the following two years