MORE REGION 8 AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
Region 8 Excellence in Advising - Institutional Administrator Award:
This award recognizes individuals at the upper level of institutional administration (Presidents, Provosts, Vice Provosts, etc.) who have demonstrated a commitment to advising and advisors on their campuses. (NACADA membership not required).
Criteria: Nominations will be evaluated on the evidence of qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to:
- Interpersonal/human relations stills
- Professional practies
- Documented success
- Documented advisor development support
- Nomination letter - In this letter, the nominator should summarize the nominee's qualifications and why the individual is being nominated for the award. It is not necessary to address all of the criteria listed, but rather this document should provide the evidence and specific examples that demonstrate the nominee's outstanding performance. Nominators should solicit input from others as they craft their nomination letters and are most welcome to include quotes or comments from colleagues and students. Nomination letter SHOULD NOT exceed three pages, single spaced. .
- Letters of Support - You may include up to two additional letters of support. These letters may come from colleagues, employees, supervisors, or students - anyone who might enhance the selection committee's understanding of the nominee. Letters SHOULD NOT exceed two pages single spaced.
Region 8 Advising Technology Innovation Award
The Advising Technology Award recognizes the most creative and unique uses of technology that support academic advising. Electronic tools used to support and enhance advising can include advising websites, databases, electronic portfolios, online tutorials, software applications, social media, and other forms of technology. Nominations for the Advising Technology Awards can be from a wide range of categories in which technology is used in advising.
1. Former recipients of the Advising Technology Award, developers of commercial software, and NACADA-sponsored resources are not eligible.
2. Only one entry per institution will be considered each year.
3. Commercial software that has been adapted to advising use (which is being utilized by an institution in a creative manner) may be submitted for consideration.
Criteria: The Advising Technology Award will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Overall impression
A strong preference will be given to those nominations that are compliant with the American’s with Disabilities Act.
Nominators should ensure that the review committee can access the technology being judged. This can be done by uploading a PDF containing a complete website link and password (if required) that provides access to a database/electronic portfolio/website/etc. Alternatively, a PDF of detailed screen shots accompanied by descriptions of the activity and use can be uploaded with the application materials.
Region 8 Conference Scholarship
To be eligible to receive a Region 8 Scholarship, individuals must be living/working in a Region 8 province or state (Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Yukon Territory). Current members of the Region 8 Steering Committee are not eligible to receive Region 8 Scholarships.
Applications are evaluated by the Region 8 Scholarship Committee. Applicants will be evaluated on the alignment of their goals for conference attendance and participation with both Region 8 and NACADA goals as evidenced through a short application. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate an understanding of NACADA’s vision, mission, and strategic goals by providing evidence of how they plan to participate in the organization and how they promote or represent diversity within the organization.
Scholarship Submission Procedure:
Apply for Region 8 Scholarships through the NACADA online submission portal. In addition to answering general questions and providing demographic information, applicants will be required to respond to the following four questions. Each question will be limited to 500 words or less.
- NACADA values diversity. One of NACADA's Strategic Goals is to "Create an inclusive environment within the Association that promotes diversity." Please address how you either create an inclusive environment or promote diversity within your role.
- How will attending this conference help you in your current position?
- How will attending this conference help you in reaching your future goals in advsing?
- How do you see your current role in NACADA and how to you see your role changing in the next 3-5 years?