About Mount Saint Mary's University:
Mount Saint Mary's is the only women's university in Los Angeles and one of the most diverse in the nation. The University is known nationally for its research on gender equality, its innovative health and science programs, and its commitment to community service. As a leading liberal arts institution, Mount Saint Mary's provides year-round, flexible and online programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Weekend, evening and graduate programs are offered to both women and men. Mount alums are engaged, active global citizens who use their knowledge and skills to better themselves, their communities and the world. www.msmu.edu.Mount Saint Mary's University is an equal opportunity employer. The University is thoroughly committed both to providing equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees, and to providing a work environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation.Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States. The University will not assist applicants with any visa matter. A background check will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Meet with current, prospective and step-out returning adult undergraduate students enrolled through the WEC to educate and equip them with the necessary tools to carefully create and follow their academic plan of study. ( MAP- my academic plan ).
2. Utilize best practice models of academic advising of adult learners (such as the intrusive and appreciative models of academic advising).
3. Work with Admission Counselors to share knowledge and information of academic policies and procedures, major departmental and other academic updates.
4. Assist staff with admission events (Info Sessions) and speak on academic planning and advising.
5. Assist with interviewing and meeting with prospective students to help assess readiness for academic rigor, motivation to persist and complete degree in a timely manner.
6. Work closely with approximately 100-150 adult undergraduate students to provide academic advising. Serve as role model and educate/empower advisees regarding communication with key offices such as academic advisement/transcript evaluators, financial aid, business office and other key constituencies.
7. Meet as needed and requested throughout the semester for academic advisement, academic planning, and evaluation of academic progress towards degree completion in a timely manner.
8. Communicate in person, over the phone and via regular emails to advises throughout the semester on a continuing basis regarding all relevant academic policies, procedures, deadlines, submission of forms( academic petitions, transfer course application, drop/add, withdrawal and graduation application)as needed.
9. Review student transcript evaluations and contact evaluators if corrections/amendments are needed.
10. Based on the transcript evaluation, create academic advising sheets and work with each student to create, revise and update their MAP (my academic plan) as needed or a minimum of once per semester.
11. Work with the Dean and staff for departmental planning, student life/academic related activities, and academic and other University policies and procedures as they relate to WEC students.
12. Communicate regularly and on an as needed basis with key offices such as financial aid, business office, registrar and transcript evaluators. Work with students, WEC staff and key offices to make updates and address concerns impacting the student experience.
13. Actively participate in planning and conducting WEC student related activities such as MAP workshops, required new student orientation, Info Sessions, Alpha Sigma Lambda induction ceremonies, and other programs and activities as needed.
14. Work with the Dean and Academic Advisors to plan and conduct WEC faculty orientation or workshops/meetings prior to the start of fall and spring semester each year.
15. Identify students who need placement testing (Accuplacer) and assist in set-up and proctoring of placement testing prior to start of each semester.
16. Perform other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary history by visiting http://msmu.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=66989
Applications Deadline: Open until filled
The University is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse student population and workforce as a reflection of our commitment to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of learning. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply to be a student or to work for the University.
Additional Information: Work Location: Doheny Campus (Downtown LA)
Start Date: Immediately
Apply Here :http://www.Click2Apply.net/27zjnhxvj7
Apply Here : http://www.Click2Apply.net/27zjnhxvj7
* Working knowledge of adult undergraduate degree programs and of higher education in general; analysis of unofficial transcripts and general knowledge of transfer student best practice (transfer credit, articulation agreements, degree and graduation requirements).
Enrollment management and data systems (Colleague, Image Now, Canvas, Web Advisor) knowledge/experience a plus.
* Understanding of and experience with higher education academic policies and procedures helpful.
* Academic advising and planning experience preferred.
Abilities and Skills:
* Willing and able to work six non-consecutive weekends per semester (with one week day off), evenings and other times as needed.
* Ability to work well within a team in order to collaborate , cooperate and help achieve departmental goals.
* Keen attention to details.
* Effectively manage multiple projects and follow through to completion.
* Able to multi-task in a high energy environment.
* Comfortable speaking with groups and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
*Ability to establish trust and rapport with adult undergraduate students.
* Able to work independently and within a team.
* Self-starter with passion for adult higher education .
* High energy level.
* Sense of humor.
* Patience and flexibility.
* Creative problem solver.
* Analytical and able to make sound judgments/decisions.
Must enjoy having a lot of interaction with a variety of people ?including prospective students, current students, faculty, staff and key constituents.
* Must provide own automobile and have a valid driver's license and auto insurance.
* Excellent organization and prioritization, customer service, oral/written communication, interpersonal, public relations and presentation skills.
* Minimum of completed baccalaureate degree required, ideally from a small private liberal arts institution. Masters level preferred.
* Participation in national and/or regional adult higher education conferences/professional organizations helpful.
* Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience working in adult undergraduate degree programs/academic advising /enrollment management.
Licenses and Certifications:
* A valid Class "C" driver's license is required.