The Academic Advisor position exists to educate the whole student through a developmental, student-focused approach. This includes individual, group, and electronic interactions that enhance academic success, promote personal, and professional development and foster a sense of belonging to the UNCP community.
- The Academic Advisor will assist students in making informed decisions about a choice of major;
- advise students about the nature and content of the curricula and disciplines;
- help students to assess their interests, values, and academic skills and to understand these in relation to major choice and potential future career/graduate school options;
- teach students how to navigate the systems, academic processes and policies at UNCP;
- interpret institutional, general education, and major requirements;
- evaluate and monitor student academic progress, course choice, and class schedule in context of student’s life and career goals;
- help students to become contributing members of the UNCP community;
- and prepare students to take responsibility for making their own decisions about courses, academic programs, and long-term plans.
- This position will also perform advising duties that are based on theories and knowledge of teaching, learning, and student development theory, and reflect developmental and appreciative advising approaches.
UNC Pembroke is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibits discrimination against all individuals based on their age, race, color, genetic information, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. UNC Pembroke is a VEVRAAFederal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.
Applicants needing assistance with or who have questions about the application process are asked to contact Joanne McMillan, HR Consultant for Employment at (910) 521-6279 or email@example.com