This is a professional position responsible for outreach and advising support to prospective students, pre-majors and transfer students, and administrative support of all Grady undergraduate services from admissions through graduation. It is a permanent, full-time position in the College and reports to the Director of Undergraduate Services.
The position requires knowledge of Grady College degree programs, academic opportunities, and UGA curriculum requirements as they relate to academic planning for pre-majors and completion of the ABJ degree. Experience with UGA's DegreeWorks degree audit system is preferred.
The position requires outstanding written and oral communication, interpersonal, problem-solving, data management, and task and time management skills. It also entails a sophisticated sense of the entertainment and media studies dimensions of advising and student services and a respect for the importance of effective advising to student success.
The position also requires the ability to work collegially in a team environment with the undergraduate staff, departments, and faculty in support of the undergraduate learning mission at Grady.
- Ability to communicate requirements confidently and credibly to high-achieving students.
- Ability to build intellectual and professional relationships with students.
- Ability to develop effective informational messages and to use online advising tools.
- Responsible for outreach to pre-majors, transfers, and other students interested in journalism and mass communication programs, including frequent appointments, phone calls, and email correspondence with prospective students and families.
- Coordination and presentation of the Grady Day Program, Admissions Information Sessions, and other prospective student programs.
- Administrative support of the admissions cycle each Spring and Fall.
- Administrative support of the scholarship process every Spring.
- Assistance with academic and other events as assigned by the Director, including Grady orientations and Convocation.
- Ability to work with confidential student data and maintain records essential to advising, graduation, and enrollment reporting
- Knowledge of UGA academic opportunities and Grady professional opportunities.
- Monitor accuracy of Undergraduate Services information on Grady website and initiate updates as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Director.
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree in field appropriate to area of assignment and one year of administrative and appropriate program experience; OR five years of progressively responsible work in this area; OR any combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- BA/BS required plus one year experience.
- The position requires knowledge of Grady College degree programs, academic opportunities, and UGA curriculum requirements as they relate to academic planning for pre-majors and completion of the ABJ degree.
- Experience with UGA's Degree Works, Banner, and Athena records systems is preferred.