The College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) Office of Academic Programs seeks applicants for a full-time Academic Advisor 1 (UCP 5) who is a highly motivated, independent and team-oriented individual who can support students, faculty, and our academic partners with creative ideas, outstanding interpersonal skills and a can-do attitude. The position entails advising undergraduate students and assisting their faculty advisors regarding complex advising and university regulation concerns, and assisting with activities and events coordinated by the Office of Academic Programs. The incumbent will work flexibly and collegially with a dynamic team of professional advising and administrative staff, as well as with faculty and students across the College and the University.
- Serve as resource for students, faculty, parents, and others with questions about programs or academic policies
- Advise current, readmitted and prospective students regarding coursework and plans of study; audit student records to determine progress toward meeting academic requirements
- Advise students regarding policies and procedures, including selection or change of major or minor, waiver of requirements/deadlines and related matters
- Review and make recommendations regarding dismissal, and provide additional counseling to students on academic probation and those with academic difficulties
- Provide academic advising and procedural assistance to faculty advisors and departmental groups as requested
- Participate in the admissions process for RHSA, and in making admissions decisions regarding transfer of major within or into the College and School
- Assist in planning and implementing scheduling and registration activities, orientation programs, commencement, etc.
- Assist in maintaining the Office's websites and social media outreach
- Assist in student recruitment and retention activities, including coordination of high school agricultural career development events, open houses, etc.
- Assist in writing and/or editing informational and publicity materials
- Perform related duties and special assignments as required
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications. For information on the college, please visit our website at www.grow.uconn.edu.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- One to two years of post-baccalaureate experience in advising and/or counseling students or in providing academic support
- Ability and knowledge to support STEM undergraduate students
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to independently solve problems by regularly exercising judgment regarding administrative detail and procedures
- Must have clear, positive, and professional verbal and written communication skills and ability to relate well to students, families, faculty, and other campus partners
- Ability to organize and efficiently handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage time and resources effectively
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office and common social media platforms
- Ability to work on occasional nights and weekends and travel occasionally for work purposes
- Master's degree in higher education, counseling, or related disciplinary field
- Advising experience in postsecondary/higher education institution(s)
- Three to five years' experience advising students
- Experience in the interpretation of academic policies, regulations, and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant academic programs including STEM programs or majors relating to Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources
- Experience working with people from diverse academic, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
- Experience/familiarity with Agricultural Education and Agriscience Programs
- Knowledge of online student records software, such as PeopleSoft (StudentAdmin)
- Experience with coordinating academic events