Engagement of Freshman Engineering Students through Proactive Advising:
Coordinates with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Student Affairs and Director of First Year Advising in the development of programs to enhance the success and retention of admitted engineering students. Responsible for advisement/counseling of freshman engineering students. First and foremost, the advisor is concerned for the individual student and her/his finding the appropriate engineering major and necessary resources to ensure her/his retention in the major, not only in their first year but throughout their tenure at UF. In the drop/add process, meaningfully meets with each student during Advanced Registration to lift holds and ensure adherence to tracking requirements. Sets the model for the HWCOE in nurturing relationships with her/his advisees, providing opportunities for students to meet regularly in meaningful ways in order to catalyze development of the students. Processes probation paperwork and collaborates with the academic advisors in the Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs in ensuring necessary development and resources through the probationary period. Participates in Preview ideally working directly with both freshman students in their preparation to begin their students at UF and their families.
The Advisor contributes to development of materials used in Preview and, as noted below, is willing to work closely with the Dean of Students Office in organization of the HWCOE Preview sessions and other HWCOE advising staff. Manages the basic communication and transfer of necessary information to her/his student advisees; may design printed materials, web pages, etc. in the areas of major requirements and career planning. Handles phone calls, email responses, and other forms of inquiry from current and prospective students, and prepares and directs students to necessary resources in the HWCOE and on campus for internship and job placement.
Collaboration and Engagement Internal to Engineering Undergraduate Student Affairs
The Advisor’s willingness and ability to interface professionally as a team member in HWCOE Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs are essential. While directly supervised by Director of First Year Advising in the Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs, the Advisor must be responsive to and willing to serve under the leadership of the Associate Dean for Engineering Undergraduate Student Affairs. The following areas will likely overlap with the Advisor’s freshman advising suite of responsibilities:
- College of Engineering Freshman Advising Team: functions as one member of a team of Engineering Freshman Advisors all functioning with a common goal of advising for retention of all engineering freshmen students.
- Freshman Programs:
- EFTP and STEPUP: The Advisor must work closely with the Director of Retention Programs in communicating progress and needs of advisees participating in these programs.
- New Student Programs: The Advisor contributes to achieving goals of welcoming and transitioning freshmen students through the UF Common Book Reading Program, UF and Engineering New Student Convocation ceremonies, and the Engineering New Student Welcome.
- Student Organizations/Student Life: The Advisor guides her/his advisees towards the tremendous value in engagement in student organizations; works with the Engineering Director of Student Development in placing freshmen students in appropriate Engineering student organizations during their first year.
Collaboration and Engagement External to Engineering Student Affairs
The Advisor must also possess a collaborative, team mentality when interfacing with partners on the UF campus.
- Preview: donates strong effort to positively contribute to continuous improvement of the Preview experience for freshmen students and their families.
- Departments: develops strong working relationships with departmental advisors; a strong emphasis on relationship-building will be placed on the specific department(s) that will assume advising responsibilities for advisees after the first year; ensure that all advisees have begun building relationships with departmental advisors prior to the end of the advisees’ first year; may physically locate in the departments periodically to further connect advisees to their home department, and the Advisor may develop workshops, seminars, etc. that invite the departments to present and meet their future students.
- EAC and UAC: The Advisor actively engages in the HWCOE advising community through the Engineering Advising Council (EAC); may serve in EAC subcommittees or in other leadership roles; actively engages in the UF advising community through the Undergraduate Advising Council.
- UF Partners: The Advisor will work directly with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and other Colleges offering first-year courses, UF Registrar, UF Housing, Student Financial Aid, Counseling and Wellness Center, Career Resources Center, and other units within the Dean of Students Office when necessary.
- Professional Development: The Advisor will pursue opportunities for professional development, including taking advantage of appropriate UF Human Resources classes, advisor certification through EAC, participation in NACADA activities, etc.
Assessment, Data Analysis, and Reporting
The Advisor will develop Student Learning Outcomes and benchmarks that will measure and provide a means of improving advising effectiveness; will report results of advising assessment and enhancement to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Engineering Student Affairs and to EAC; compiles and reports data related to enrollment, retention, etc., will work with the appropriate department(s) in preparation of ABET information related to the first year curriculum.
$45,000 - $50,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience