The Academic Advisor II is responsible for overseeing recruitment and matriculation of College of Science undergraduate students. Recruits high-achieving and other targeted high school and college transfer students. Conducts or assists with programs for targeted students. Provides academic advice to incoming undergraduate students.
- Develops and conducts high school recruitment programs. Recruits high school students. Visits high schools, college fairs to represent the College of Science at Texas A&M University to interested students and parents. May require driving a vehicle to accomplish duties.
- Provides academic advice to undergraduate students in areas concerning college admission and readmission, professional concerns, housing, financial aid, student services, degree programs, academic schedules, course schedules, course planning and selections, major options, and career and educational goals.
- Facilitates the application and admission of students; advises students with academic, probationary, and financial concerns and determines possible courses of action. Refers students to appropriate other university resources.Uses Compass for student registration, degree audit, course prerequisites, etc. Maintains records of student contacts.
- Responds to inquiries from students, parents, prospective students, and others.
- Has knowledge of Texas A&M University and College of Science policies and procedures; monitors degree requirements. Interacts with college and other university offices regarding admissions, registration, advising and counseling. Develops and revises informational materials, handbooks, and newsletters.
- Meets with freshmen and transfer students during new student orientation conferences.
- Visits prospective student centers to meet with counselors, advisors, administrators, prospective students and parents as a mechanism for identifying students for recruitment. May require driving a vehicle to accomplish duties.
- Conducts and/or participates in various general and specialized recruitment events throughout the state to meet with prospective students and parents. Visits prospective student centers and high schools to meet with teachers, counselors and administrators for recruitment purposes. May require driving a vehicle to accomplish duties.
- Develops and conducts college transfer recruitment programs. Recruits college transfer students. Visits community colleges to represent the College of Science at Texas A&M University to interested students, parents, counselors and administrators. May require driving a vehicle to accomplish duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of related experience in advising and recruiting, teaching, coaching, Student Affairs or other related area.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Knowledge of student information systems, degree planning, and degree audits.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent written communication, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills