The person in this position will advise pre-health students at the University of Georgia, focusing on those applying to allied-health (e.g., physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.) and nursing schools, but serving those applying to medical, dental, and optometry schools as needed. This person will advise students on the application process to all of these schools. This person will also be the primary contact for pre-health students who seek help with writing their personal statement for their application and those who would like to set up mock interviews. This person will run workshops for pre-health students and will be charged to set up and maintain a pre-health mentoring network to put current students in touch with near peers (those alumni who are now in professional schools and those who have recently graduated from those schools) and with local professionals for advice and shadowing opportunities. This person will also assist the other pre-health advisors with student appointment overflow, help manage caseloads for the advisors in the department, and will prepare materials for student as they explore various health careers.
- Meets with and advises current students, alumni, and previous applicants on an individual basis. Also meets with other UGA advisors, faculty, and recruiters. Assists students by answering questions on options, procedures, timetables, requirements, and deadlines for allied-health and nursing school applications and other pre-health students as needed.
- Assists Coordinator with designing and running programs and events such as workshops and mock interviews to support students with an interest in applying to allied health and nursing schools, as well as medical, dental and optometry schools.
- Maintains hours for walk-in students to address general questions. Meets with prospective students.
- Allocates time for responding to student questions submitted electronically (e.g., email) and disseminating information through the official Pre-Health Advising office list-serv.
- Assists Coordinator with supporting the various allied health and nursing student organizations.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.