Serves as mid level position which may be required to coordinate and present workshops, coordinate business and academic functions that support student learning and retention, and recruit and advise undergraduate and/or graduate students concerning their educational or career goals, academic requirements, and related personal concerns; provides information on and refers students to University resources that can assist them in meeting their needs or solving their problems; may develop or oversee projects.
- Review admission applications from transfer, change of major and general engineering students, enter major change in COMPASS, conduct orientation sessions. Approve minor forms and track declared students. Direct and Coordinate force request procedures and resolution. Enter overrides into COMPASS/Howdy for student registration.
- Provide academic advice to undergraduate students ? interpret University, College and Departmental policies and procedures and make appropriate referrals; provide advice on career choices, curriculum matter, degree audits, dropping/adding courses, and verifying status, GPA, and rank; write letters for recommendations, financial aid, veteran?s services, international students, and excessive hours appeals; check and approve Co-op degree plans. Manage and serve as administrator for advising eCampus page. Serve on relevant department, college and/or university committees.
- Assist with activities and strategies to increase retention of students, especially those at highest risk; including monitoring of academic progress and providing timely advising for first-generation, probationary and other at-risk students. Run end-of-semester probation reports. Send probation and dismissal letters.
- Manage MEEN Student Ambassador Program. Oversee ambassador recruitment and scheduling, conduct training and pre/post assessment, and initiate special projects and events that enhance department student services. Assist the Undergraduate Program Director with recruitment of targeted students as defined by the President, Dean and Department Head; work with MEEN Ambassadors to conduct lab tours and provide booths and distribute program information at various recruiting activities and events; meet with prospective students and their families to overview the mechanical engineering curriculum, program, and profession; help create outreach events, presentations, brochures, and advising materials to increase external awareness of the program.
- Assist with end of semester reports, and other academic advising office functions and communications; provide departmental statistics, data and program information as requested. Utilize Argos to write and run reports as needed.
- Responsible for working with graduating seniors to review degree evaluations, assure that all degree requirements are met, and clear seniors for graduation. Enter adjustments into Compass/Howdy computer system. Instruct, guide, and assist students with new university-mandated degree planner system and monitor progress and compliance.
- Assist Department Honors coordinator with events and targeted recruiting. Oversee retention programming and efforts, as follows. Work with Engineering Academy Program to provide outreach to academy students accepted into MEEN via MEEN Academy Liaison and Academy Ambassadors. Work with MEEN Ambassadors to provide outreach to incoming transfer students. Other duties as requested.
Commensurate with experience
- Master's degree or above in education, counseling, or general subject area of placement.
- Two years of experience in advising, recruiting, teaching, coaching, Student Affairs, or other related area at TAMU.
- Microsoft Office, Howdy, COMPASS, and ARGOS.
- Experience with room and course scheduling.