As Academic Advisor, you will serve the students in the School of Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering. You will advise current students and meet with prospective students and families, as well as guide students in developing a plan of study that meets degree requirements. You will be responsible for assisting with course selection, class scheduling, co-curricular opportunities and related advising duties. You will communicate with students who are having academic difficulty, including those on academic probation and who have gone through the re-entry/readmission process. You will also conduct audits on student progress toward completion of their AAE plan of study as well as interpret University policies and procedures in the context of a situation in order to appropriately advise students. Additionally, you will communicate and work with the College of Engineering, the Registrar, the Dean of Students and other University Offices to maximize student access and success.
Effective planning, coordination, and support are critical to the success of the students, the staff, the faculty, and the department. You will help guide students through the AAE program in the manner that best meets his or her needs while satisfying the AAE curriculum requirements.
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Master's degree in an Engineering, Higher Education, Counseling, Technology, Student Affairs or related field.
- One year of work experience with academic advising, student services, student affairs, career development, and/or counseling.
- Knowledge of the AAE undergraduate curriculum, effective presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate one-on-one with undergraduate students.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, students, and parents.
- Basic skills in Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of academic advising.
- Knowledge of programs and majors at Purdue University.
- Familiarity with MyPurdue, Banner, COGNOS.