Categories: Northeast Region 1
|Academic Advising Services
|SUNY - Fredonia
The Academic Advisor (Instructional Support Associate, SL2) works in Academic Advising Services and reports to the Director of Academic Advising. This position is responsible for coordinating academic advising efforts to support student success, with particular attention to undeclared students.This appointment is a full-time, 12-month position. Individuals from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to support matriculated undeclared students.
- Provide information and guidance to new, prospective and undeclared students to assist in the transition to a college environment.
- Serve as the primary academic advisor for a population of undeclared students
- Support academic advising campus wide by providing students with ongoing communication, outreach, and pro-active advising opportunities.
- Assist students with academic course and degree planning, registration, choice of major/academic program, transferring credits, leaves of absence, etc.
- Assist students in navigating College policies and procedures.
- Serve on appropriate department, college and/or campus committees and represent academic advising at Admissions and other College events.
- Perform related duties as assigned or deemed necessary by the Director of Academic Advising
Cover letter and resume
State University of New York at Fredonia. 4600 Undergraduate students.
Director of Academic Advising
- Master's degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent professional experience in higher education advising
- Ability to work with and be sensitive to the educational needs of a diverse population
- Effective organizational skills
- Strong oral and written interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and constituents in support of campus and department mission
- Experience with instructional technology
- Demonstrated commitment to the university, division, and profession
- Advising experience in higher education
- Experience working with undeclared/exploratory students
- Knowledge of current student development theory and research
- Experience collaborating with faculty
- Skills in the use of online and social media technology in advising
- Interest in, and commitment to, community engagement