Engagement with Undergraduate Students through Proactive Advising
- Under supervision of the ISE Department Chair and in direct collaboration with the ISE Department Undergraduate Faculty Coordinator, this position requires independent action, unsupervised decision-making and the ability to assume responsibility as Coordinator, Academic Support Services for the ISE Department. Responsibilities require the technical ability to develop advising and recruiting programs as well as to administer and execute these programs.
- Responsible for academic advisement of second-year and above undergraduate ISE students. First and foremost, the advisor is concerned for the individual student and her/his finding the appropriate resources to ensure her/his retention in the major. Develops and conducts individual and group advisement sessions, prepares printed and web-site materials to guide student in decision-making. Understands and effectively communicates to students the latest policies on academic progress of undergraduate ISE students, including graduation requirements, student petitions, probations and course substitutions, according to COE and ISE policies and procedures.
- Responsible for assisting ISE undergraduate students in applying for and obtaining fellowships and scholarships from the HWCOE, UF and external sources. Actively engages in the annual HWCOE Undergraduate Scholarship process, including coordinating the interviews of each applicant.
- Manages transfer student application process for the department, including preparing paperwork for final processing by HWCOE. Keeps track of allotted enrollment slots in transfer student admissions.
- Manages student peer advising in ISE. Ensures that all peer advisors receive necessary training offered by the HWCOE and EAC for all peer advisors.
- Responsible for advising and assisting students in identifying resources to find co-op and internship opportunities (e.g., UF CRC services). Direct students to appropriate resources in HWCOE and at UF for professional development, career readiness, and full-time employment.
Collaboration and Professional Development with UF and College Partners
- Serves as liaison between the Department, UF and HWCOE Academic Programs in order to keep abreast of regulations, procedures, and opportunities regarding undergraduate students in ISE, including minority recruitment, mentoring programs and visiting scholar programs.
- Strongly coordinates with HWCOE advisors during the students’ first year in order to best prepare them for their transition to departmental advising starting in the second year.
- Maintains ISE material in the UF undergraduate catalogs and coordinates with HWCOE in providing timely submissions of catalog revisions.
- Maintains and updates ISE brochures, handbooks, forms, posters, and other recruiting materials.
- Coordinates recruiting activities that are relevant to the advising role (e.g., EGS 1006 coordination, Preview advising and information sessions, HWCOE New Student Welcome, HWCOE New Student Convocation, etc.).
- Actively participates in the UF Undergraduate Advising Council (UAC) and HWCOE Engineering Advising Council (EAC) meetings and associated committee activities.
Recordkeeping and Report Generation
- Develops Student Learning Outcomes and benchmarks that will measure and provide a means of improving advising effectiveness. Reports results of advising assessment and enhancement to the ISE Department and to the EAC.
- Develops appropriate electronic databases and paper files of all ISE upper-division undergraduate students in cooperation with HWCOE, Assoc. Dean of HWCOE Academic Affairs Office; supervision and maintenance of SASS files. Responsible for directing staff in maintaining records of student evaluations, course work, graduation rates, ABET record keeping and alumni affairs. Complies and analyzes statistical data reports concerned with ISE undergraduate enrollment, retention and other related data including records required for accreditation by ABET and SACS.
- Responsible for oversight of ISE student organization activities and for assisting them in the planning and implementation of ISE student events.
- Responsible for interpreting educational and administrative rules and policies and recommending new and improved programs and/or technologies for the effective delivery of ISE undergraduate educational programs.
Sales Engineering Program
- Publicizes the annual Sales Engineering Scholarships. Collects student applications, maintain relevant database for the Associate Dean who reviews, and forward the applications to the College of Engineering Scholarship Committee for consideration and recommendation. Notifies scholarship recipients and publicize presentations in conjunction with the Gregory Lecture.
- Publicizes the Sales Engineering program minor in coordination with the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering’s Office of Marketing and Communications. Updates and distributes program brochures and provide information required for the program’s web site. Present minor to various HWCOE orientation sessions such as EGS 1006 (Introduction to Engineering), HWCOE freshman orientation programs, STEPUP and EFTP, and the COE transfer student orientation program, TSTP.
- Maintains database on current students enrolled in the Sales Engineering program and certify program minors upon graduation.
$45,000 - $47,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience