At the academic core of the university, the College of Liberal Arts fosters an open intellectual environment where faculty, students, and staff pursue wide-ranging research, creative and humanistic inquiry, and community engagement. Embracing cultural diversity, social justice, and sustainability, the College of Liberal Arts nurtures the human capacity to learn from the past, understand the present, and shape the future. At the intersection of social science and the humanities, the College of Liberal Arts prepares students for creative leadership and the complex challenges of global citizenship.
- Proactively advise approximately 150-175 new CLA students through the process of formulating a personalized educational plan, utilizing a variety of academic advising strategies including one-on-one and group advising
- Advise and communicate to re-enrolling and international students
- Assist students in developing and enhancing self-awareness regarding values, passions and strengths
- Monitor student progress and intervene, as needed, with appropriate referrals and resources related to academic difficulties
- Provide ongoing support to students seeking assistance through CLA Advising and Academic Services
- Be a resource for faculty advisors and departmental staff
- Establish and maintain connections with assigned departments, programs and student groups
- Mentor students on the career exploration process throughout their undergraduate experience
- Be a liaison between students, University officials and the community
- Actively participate in the development of strategies for recruiting, admissions, enrollment and academic advising
- Serve and actively participate as a member of our office and on various campus committees
- Engage in professional development
- Maintain advising records
- Organize, review or process applications (UMD admission, change of college, dual degree, & re-enrollment)
- Maintain detailed spreadsheets regarding applications
- Process course equivalencies within APAS (multi-institutional, study abroad)
- Provide reports as requested
OTHER duties as assigned 10%
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
The College of Liberal Arts is becoming a national leader in experiential and engaged learning, while sustaining humanistic principles. Recognized for our interdisciplinary programs, international focus, and bioregional engagement, UMD’s College of Liberal Arts is rewriting what it means to be liberally educated.
In the coming years, the college will be a home to renowned programs and centers that celebrate diversity, support study abroad, examine systems of power and entitlement, foster innovative enterprise, and offer community-based solutions to regional, national, and international challenges. As a result, CLA students are becoming valued as culturally savvy, technologically innovative, intellectually inquisitive, and linguistically skilled professionals, citizens, and leaders.