The School of Chemical Sciences (SCS) seeks a full-time (12-month) academic professional as an Academic Advisor. This position reports to the Director of Academic Advising and Career Services and will advise, guide, and provide resources, direction, and support for undergraduate students in the Departments of Chemistry (CHEM) and Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering (ChBE) regarding course choices, progress toward graduation, and other academic, and career issues regarding the undergraduate experience.
- Advise undergraduate students pursuing CHEM, ChBE, and CS+CHEM degrees on program requirements.
- Meet with students to review their academic progress towards degree completion.
- Assist students with course selections and advocate on students’ behalf to departments in order to resolve course scheduling conflicts.
- Provide advising and assistance to incoming freshmen and transfer students during summer orientation/registration in person, via telephone, and via virtual online advising in coordination with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Advocate on behalf of students that are experiencing personal or medical complications and work in partnership with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and other resources on campus to develop viable plans for completion.
- Utilize DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs to create and maintain files for all undergraduate students in order to record and track students’ progress toward a degree and to determine when students need additional academic assistance in order to design individual support plans for students.
- Serve as an informational resource to faculty advisors who meet with students regarding academic and career issues.
- Run and interpret data in order to create registration summaries and annual reports to track trends and continually strategize best ways to serve students.
- Design advising schedule and plan appropriate developmental and educational programs during each registration period for individual or groups of students.Interpret departmental, School, College, and University information, procedures, policies, and academic requirements and advise students on those.
- Identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on petitions to students' program of study or refer as appropriate.
- Develop strong personal contacts with individuals in the departments, the School, College, and the University, giving substantial attention to these connections.
- Develop and implement programming for academically challenged students (low GPA, transfer students, veterans, others who tend to have unique academic situations).
- Contribute to recruitment of potential students by advising them of general academic requirements and courses.Represent SCS at Orange & Blue Days, Admitted Student Days, and other similar student events.
For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references by the closing date of December 20, 2017. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign community of students, scholars, and alumni is changing the world.With our land-grant heritage as a foundation, we pioneer innovative research that tackles global problems and expands the human experience. Our transformative learning experiences, in and out of the classroom, are designed to produce alumni who desire to make a significant, societal impact.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Contact the SCS HR Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-300-1637.https://jobs.illinois.edu/academic-job-board/job-details?jobID=89141&job=academic-advisor-school-of-chemical-sciences-a1700746