This position provides academic advising and degree planning support to students who have decided or have an intended major at the Des Moines campus with a focus on students in the College of Business. Academic Advisors provide interventions for students with academic alerts and lend additional support to students on academic warning/probation. This position plays a vital role in student success at CWU.
- Advise students, providing academic advising, intervention, and appropriate referrals, as necessary.
- Advise students about general education and pre-major or major requirements
- Advise prospective and incoming transfer students
- Help students to make informed academic decisions, use and interpret their Academic Requirements Report, and progress efficiently towards degree completion
- Assist students with course articulation, and recommend appropriate academic course loads and course selections
- Analyze and interpret student data, transcripts, and placement results, as well as university policy and procedures
- Design and deliver presentations to various audiences
- Work with College of Business and Des Moines Center staff in the processing of College of Business students
- Develop strong working relationships with academic departments, programs, faculty, and staff across campus
- Collaborate with other Student Success and University units
- Support new student orientation and new student program activities where academic advising is concerned, providing information and support to new students and their families
- Other duties as assigned
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach: A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting; Resume including work history, education, training; and Contact information for three professional references.
Central Washington University (CWU) is a master's degree-granting institution with over 11,000 students. More than 160 undergraduate and master's degrees are offered. Founded in 1891, the Ellensburg campus is located in the heart of Washington State. We consider ourselves a "small-town university" even though we are only a two-hour drive away from several large cities! Seeking a more urban setting? CWU also has six university centers, three of which are located in the Seattle area.
Name: Scott Carlton
Title: Director of Advising
Phone: (509) 963-1583
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.