The Department of Statistics seeks a full-time (12-month) academic professional as an Academic Advisor. This position reports to the Undergraduate Advising and Professional Development Office and will advise, guide, and provide resources, direction, and support for undergraduate students in the Departments of Statistics regarding course choices, progress toward graduation, and other academic, and career issues regarding the undergraduate experience. Join a vibrant, growing academic program with outstanding student career opportunities. For more information about our degree programs, student opportunities and alumni visit http://www.stat.illinois.edu
- Advise undergraduate students pursuing Statistics and Statistics + Computer Science degrees on program requirements.
- Meet with students to review their academic progress towards degree completion.
- Assist students with course selections and advocate on students’ behalf to departments in order to resolve course-scheduling conflicts, and identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements.
- Provide advising and assistance to incoming freshmen and transfer students during summer orientation/registration in person, via telephone, and via virtual online advising in coordination with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Advocate on behalf of students that are experiencing personal or medical complications and work in partnership with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and other resources on campus to develop viable plans for completion.
- Utilize DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs to create and maintain files for all undergraduate students in order to record and track students’ progress toward a degree and to determine when students need additional academic assistance in order to design individual support plans for students.
- Serve as an informational resource to faculty advisors who meet with students regarding academic and career issues.
- Run and interpret data in order to create registration summaries and annual reports to track trends and continually strategize best ways to serve students.
- Design advising schedule and plan appropriate developmental and educational programs during each registration period for individual or groups of students.
- Interpret Departmental, College, and University information, procedures, policies, and academic requirements and advise students on those.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on petitions to students' program of study or refer as appropriate.
- Act as a liaison with advisors in other Departments, the College, and the University.
- Develop and implement programming for academically challenged students (low GPA, transfer students, veterans, others who tend to have unique academic situations).
- Contribute to recruitment of potential students by advising them of general academic requirements and courses.
- Represent Statistics at Orange & Blue Days, Admitted Student Days, and other similar student events.
For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references by the closing date of March 15, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date.
The Department of Statistics offer the BS, MS and PhD degrees in Statistics as well as the BS in Statistics and Computer Science. With a faculty known for leadership in research and excellence in teaching, our programs provide students with a solid foundation and in-depth exposure to advanced statistical methodology, computational statistics, and multidisciplinary applications. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a premier public university, provides a superb environment for learning and growth. We encourage you to explore all that the Department and the University have to offer!
Melissa Banks, firstname.lastname@example.org