Reporting to Director of the University Academic Advising Center, the Academic Advisor helps students with analyzing interests and abilities, choosing a major, changing majors, selecting courses, meeting requirements, and succeeding academically at Virginia Tech.
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
- Master's degree in educational administration, student development, counseling, or related field;
- academic advising experience and/or other relevant experience in areas such as career planning, educational planning, or counseling; classroom instruction and/or programming experience at college level;
- excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- demonstrated knowledge and use of personal computers with the ability to use software, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel;
- sensitivity to cultural and ethnic differences;
- excellent communication skills including the ability to make public presentations.
- Academic advising experience in a higher education setting;
- familiarity with student information systems;
- experience working with first-year students preferred.