The Student Support Services Department in the division of University Advising is seeking applications for a Counselor II position. This position is responsible for providing professional career, personal, guidance or academic counseling to students who are from first-generation backgrounds, economically disadvantaged backgrounds or who possess learning or physical disabilities. This position will also oversee the mentoring component of the Student Support Services/TRIO Program.
- Provide personal advising, academic counseling and coaching to the student participates.
- Establish and maintain frequent contacts with program participants in order to ensure they make the transition necessary to adjust academically, socially, and culturally to college.
- Develop individual success plans for student participants that involve and address goal setting, academic advising issues, counseling, cultural and social events, tutoring, graduate school preparation, financial aid and major/career decision-making.
- Serve as an advocate for students with sensitive issues across campus and throughout the community.
- Serve as a liaison with the Office of Financial Aid, Career Services, Accessibility Services, the Carruth Center for Counseling, and the Mountaineer HUB.
- Coordinate a peer mentoring program, including recruiting, selecting, hiring, training and supervising peer mentors.
- Maintain a budget and provide oversight for all costs and expenditures for the mentorship program.
- Design program, including course, service activities and mentoring services.
- Oversee the SSS/TRIO Service Learning course and match peer mentors to course sections.
- Work with the Center for Service and Learning to work through course details and community service placement arrangements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.