Suffolk University is seeking qualified candidates to consider for the Academic & Research Advisor position. The Academic & Research Advisor will provide direct support to student participants and alumni of the McNair Scholars Program, specifically as it relates to the students' academic progress, graduate admissions and financial aid application processes, and the development, presentation, and publication of undergraduate research. The Academic & Research Advisor reports to the Associate Director of the McNair Scholars Program.
- Meet with students to conduct student needs assessments and create personal education plans; Assess and monitor participant performance in the program, at the institution, and during the research and graduate admissions processes; maintain regular communication with participants and faculty mentors; review and update participants' records and maintain participant data, where appropriate
- Work closely with students to assist in the identification of graduate programs, inform students of financial aid resources and strategies, and monitor students in the graduate application and financial aid process providing feedback and direction where necessary. The prospect should be knowledgeable of universities, programs, and organizations that have targeted opportunities for first-generation, low-income, and students from underrepresented groups in higher education (i.e., McNair Scholars) and keep a running directory of a variety of relevant funding sources for graduate study.
- Monitor student progress in all aspects of the program research requirement and provide feedback and direction on the various stages of the research process, especially as it relates to the development of research proposals, obtaining IRB permissions, conducting a research study, presenting results, and preparing a manuscript for publication. The prospect will be expected to work closely with faculty mentors to ensure successful completion of student research projects and stay informed of national, regional, and local projects that sponsor guided research and scholarly opportunities to provide students with the ability to become exposed to diverse experiences.
- Assist with the identification and recruitment of eligible program participants, and work with program staff in the development, coordination, and implementation of academic and student services, programs, and initiatives for program participants.
- Propose, design, and lead workshops and seminars appropriate to the immediate needs of the students and the overall goals and objectives of the program, including but not limited to: future careers, graduate admissions, financial aid, financial literacy, navigating university resources, mental health and well-being, research methods, writing strategies, etc.
- Create, maintain, and update the program website and documentation (e.g., handbook, application, newsletter), as necessary, and assist in the development and distribution of marketing materials to promote the goals and objectives of the program to the university community, bring visibility to the research and achievements of the scholars in the program, help with recruitment of eligible students to the project, and encourage the participation of faculty and administrators with the program's many initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned in support of the program
Suffolk University is a private, comprehensive, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common. We are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus-Boston and Suffolk blend together.Since 1906, Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation. Suffolk University is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LBGTQ status.See yourself here with our terrific benefits package.