Education Programs at Santa Fe College is committed to growing the community of educators and to do so offers Early Childhood Education Bachelor’s and Associate’s degree programs, a credential program, and multiple certificate programs. Education Programs provides learners an opportunity to refresh their knowledge, acquire new skills, gain practical experience and prepare them with the basic pre-professional education to become quality educators. Education Programs seeks an Advising Specialist to provide information, guidance, personalized advisement, registration assistance, and recruitment support to Education Program students. The Advising Specialist prepares students to achieve their professional and educational goals by helping students explore academic options, develop academic plans for success, register for coursework and make timely progress to persist toward degree completion.
- Assist in all advisement efforts, including recruitment, academic advisement, marketing and the promotion of Education Programs and represent Education Programs in a professional manner.
- Collaborate with students (and in some instances students’ family members or other persons) to select appropriate programs, majors, courses and course sequencing; conduct transfer and degree audits, identify prerequisites, identify resources available from the College and other sources, facilitate student registration activities and complete reporting requirements as assigned.
- Place interns and practicum students at appropriate sites.
- Contribute to the success of Education Programs by keeping current on technical knowledge and sharing it with other departmental members and accomplishing tasks affecting the department in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community constituents, including but not limited to Head Start, the Early Learning Coalition and area childcare providers.
- Serve as a liaison between the Education Programs academic advisement and academic departments at SF, University of Florida, and other institutions.
- Assist with various events during the week, weekends and night-time hours, including but not limit to Gator Day, career fairs, workshops, evening registration, graduation ceremonies, recruitment visits, student activities, assemblies, and presentations.
- Strictly honor the privacy and security of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies and procedures.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Reports to: Director, Education Programs
All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as the Advising Specialist for Education Programs at Santa Fe College and explain the skills, strengths and experience you can bring to this position, as well as your advising philosophy. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.
Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system
Human Resources at Santa Fe College