Career Advising Fellow
Categories: Mid South Region 3
|Appalachian State University
|Feb 16 2018 10:00PM
|Open Until Filled
The Career Development Center at Appalachian State is seeking a 2018-2019 Career Advising Fellow. This 9 month live in position is perfect for folks who are interested in working in Career Services/Academic Advising/Housing. The position will receive a certification in Strong Interest Inventory.
- Provide one-on-one career counseling and follow up to students who are deciding their majors/careers
- Once trained, administer and interpret Strong Interest Inventory
- Support all career counselors in offering career development programming and presentations to classes, clubs, and organizations
- Assist Career Exploration Assistant Director in planning and implementing the Majors Fair
- Support student volunteers/interns in conducting campus outreach initiatives (Coffee Cart, social media) and assisting during career events and programs
- Assist Career Development Center 1-2 days per week during drop-in hours (10-15 minute resume/cover letter reviews) Supervision and Leadership
- Assist in supervision of graduate assistants and undergraduate interns
- Assist in managing the daily operations of Career Exploration Residence Life Programming and Engagement
- Serve as a “faculty in residence” for University Housing
- Engage with residents in the hall serving as a mentor by facilitating faculty and staff interactions with students outside of a formal classroom setting; promote the residence hall as another academic learning environment; and provide resources to hall staff that will assist them in their educational program planning.
- Coordinate and offer career exploration and development programming in residence halls in collaboration with Career Counselors
- Offer interest and personality assessment group sessions to Residence Life staff and students living on campus (primarily first year students)
- Serve as liaison and conduct career exploration and development presentations to all housing organizations (Resident Assistant Council, Residence Hall Association, National Residence Hall Honorary)
Apply through Appalachian State University Website:
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 19,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
Erika Cary firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed Master’s Degree in College Student Development, Higher Education or related field.
- Work, internship or practicum experience in career development, advising, first year programming or housing/residence life at the time of employment; solid foundation in counseling skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to multi-task and take initiative; ability to lead and mentor students; and a passion for working with first and second year students.
- This position is uniquely designed for an individual who has recently completed such a degree and is seeking a time-limited professional position in career services. Candidates must commit to the full 9-month appointment to begin August 1, 2018 and end April 30, 2019.
- Knowledge of unique needs of first year, second year, and transfer students;
- a commitment to inclusivity, diversity and social justice;
- demonstrated success in program development and delivery;
- and effective use of digital tools and social media in outreach to students.