The Coordinator of Academic Programs is responsible for developing and managing programs and services that address the needs of specific Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP) students. The Coordinator of Academic Programs supports and advances the mission of CSP by serving our undergraduate student population and our many academic partners and stakeholders across campus. By initiating and implementing effective programs and publications, the Coordinator of Academic Programs helps new CSP students successfully transition into the University of Michigan, College of Literature, Science, and Arts.
In addition to programmatic responsibilities, the Coordinator of Academic Programs devotes approximately 40% of his/her time advising students, carrying out all the duties of a general academic advisor.
Development and Coordination of CSP Orientation Program (30%)
- Develop and implement an orientation program for new CSP students and their families (first year and transfer students)
- Develop publications and materials for use in orientation with students and families (Spring, Summer, Bridge Scholars, Fall, Winter, and Transfer orientation sessions)
- Select and train Academic Peer Advisor(s) for Summer Orientation
- Supervise and evaluate performance of Academic Peer Advisor(s)
- Coordinate joint training activities with orientation leaders and APAs from other units (Newnan, Engineering, Kinesiology, and ONSP)
- Manage the Summer Orientation advising assignments in consultation with the Associate Director of Advising
- Maintain database of students for orientation
- Attend the ONSP Unit meetings as the CSP representative
- Communicate changes and updates to advising staff regarding ONSP
- Design and implement a welcome-week program for first year CSP students
- Provide a yearly update on progress of Orientation program including student experiences and expectations
Coordinate CSP Mentorship Program (20%)
- Develop and implement a mentoring program for first year CSP students
- Recruit a diverse group of CSP upper class students as mentors
- Select, train, and monitor mentors
- Design training handbook
- Design evaluation protocol
- Coordinate mentorship networking sessions at least once per term
- Maintain relationships with other mentorship programs on campus
- Serve as CSP liaison to Success Connect and SIBS
Individual Student Advising (40%)
- Develop effective advising relationships with an assigned group of CSP students,working with them from Orientation through graduation
- Maintain contact with advisees on a regular basis following the Advising Goals and Philosophy of CSP
- Carry out all duties common to a general advisor
- Contribute to group advising efforts of CSP
Additional CSP Administrative Duties (5%)
- Take an active role in furthering the mission of CSP
- Serve as an effective liaison to UM academic and administrative units as well as other colleges and universities on orientation activities
- Exercise initiative in the ongoing efforts of CSP to improve quality of service
Professional Development (5%)
- Maintain memberships in advising/student success organizations
- Prepare conference presentations highlighting success of CSP programs
- The Coordinator of Academic Programs is supervised by the Associate Director for Advising in the Comprehensive Studies Program and collaborates effectively with other members of the administrative team, staff, faculty, and other College personnel.
- Functional and administrative supervision
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
$57,500.00 – $70,000.00