Developmental Advising Specialist
Categories: Mid South Region 3
|Department for Human Performance
|West Virginia University
|Open Until Filled
The Department of Human Performance at the West Virginia University School of Medicine is seeking applications for a Developmental Advising Specialist. This position is responsible for providing academic advising, coordination and management of student and academic services for the undergraduate programs of Immunology and Microbiology (IMMB) and Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM), as well as parts of the other programs under Professional Programs.
- Serve as the primary academic advisor for all IMMB and HIIM students.
- Develop, organize and implement academic programs to assist students in meeting educational goals.
- Ensure all students are properly registered each term.
- Coordinate all new student orientation information and advising sessions, including advising schedules for all faculty advisors for New Student Orientation and creation of PowerPoint slides for student/parent talks, creating information packets for all new incoming students, etc.
- Teach first year seminar courses for HIIM and IMMB and guest lecture in other classes.
- Serve as back-up advisor for Exercise Physiology students.
- Manage the transfer admission process and major change process for IMMB, EXPH and HIIM students.
- Coordinate all course offerings each term for EXPH and HIIM. Work with the Chairs and faculty to determine which courses are going to be taught and the logistics of those courses.
- Enter all course offerings into the STAR (Banner) system.
- Advise students on degree completion requirements and graduation process and serve as back up academic advisor.
- Review all candidates for graduation.
- Master's degree in counseling or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Higher education in admissions, recruiting, marketing or other related area
- Student information system (especially Banner) and other software skills.
- Customer service experience
- Project management experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must exhibit professional behavior and demeanor at all times
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop and coordinate events and activities with large numbers of constituents
- Demonstrated ability to organize, manage and complete multiple tasks at the same time
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems independently
- Knowledge of STAR/Banner system including DegreeWorks, BDMS, PTCAS, Hobsons, Apply Yourself
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of admissions and graduation procedures for the University as well as programs and other policies and procedures that effect the programs
- Ability to supervise others in the completion of tasks