This position leads the delivery of guidance and counsel to students designed to assist them in making decisions associated with their academic and/or career experiences. Assesses individual situations and circumstances, many complex in nature, and creates, implements and monitors recommendations, partnering with internal/external organizations and resources that meet student needs. Ensures compliance with all associated policies, rules and regulations.
The Sr. Academic Advisor, MSHE provides administrative and academic support to the MS Program in Higher Education Administration and Planning (MSHE). This position has significant responsibility for managing the program and contributing to the design and implementation of strategic plans and student events. The individual in this position directs all MSHE students' advising, and student admissions/enrollment processes. This role leads student recruitment and onboarding, and supports current and graduating students.
The Sr. Academic Advisor, MSHE must be available to direct and facilitate evening and weekend sessions, program events or workshops and lead regular evening information sessions for prospective students. Some travel may be required to attend conferences, recruiting events, etc.
- Provides customer service oriented, student centered guidance and counsel based on individual circumstances, preferences, etc. and in compliance with all associated policies, rules and regulations.
- Researches, develops and implements practices and activities that enhance student centered guidance and counsel.
- Academic advising & counseling may include more complex situations such as development of retention initiatives for students struggling academically or on academic probation; on extended absence; with special needs; etc.
- Oversees academic and administrative support to all MSHE students. Has primary responsibility for advising MSHE students and manages faculty/staff who assist with student advising. Works with prospective and enrolled students on issues including qualifications for enrollment, course planning, graduation requirements, and pursuing internship opportunities. Initiates program analysis and review of activities that ensure student needs are being met within the program, through the advising function, and via internship event experiences. Collects, analyzes and manages data about MSHE students and their interests, including oversight of official MSHE student records and program surveys. Oversees evaluative data of instruction and department processes, including student satisfaction with MSHE events and student services. May help to identify internship sites for students;
- Consults with student affairs, academic departments, student organizations and administrative offices to exchange information regarding academic and career opportunities.
- Creates and nurtures relationships with organizations and alumni to develop a network of enthusiastic organizations engaged via active participation in the success of program.
- Helps the Director and Senior Career Advisor to cultivate relationships with higher education program alumni, including programming aligned with their professional interests. Identifies and leads/participates in the growth of the program and opportunities for students. Serves as administrative liaison to the University; coordinates all matters associated with conducting business in the University (e.g., registrar, business units, NU grad fair, etc).
- Identifies opportunities and strategies for short- and long-term growth & expansion of program resources, value and participation.
- Creates & implements program brand identity and marketing & advertising strategy regarding resources and services.
- Oversees marketing and advertising of new and current programs, partnering with internal and external key stakeholders to ensure marketing plan effectively targets students, sponsors, employers, etc.
- Ensures that all advertising and marketing materials accurately represent programs.
- Manages marketing efforts. Proposes short and long-term plans for meeting recruitment goals. Identifies, proposes and pursues new recruiting sources. Works with the Director to oversee and coordinate student recruitment activities. Designs and leads information sessions for both resident and non-resident prospects. Interviews and counsels prospective students. Serves as the program's admissions director, supervising the Program Assistant who is the first point of contact for applicants and primary Apply Yourself coordinator. Assists the Director in evaluating applications for awards and graduate assistant positions. Supports the program's development plans to assure the program meets its enrollment, revenue, and expense budget goals. Oversees program enrollment processes and analysis. (This is a rolling admissions program with applications being processed and new students are admitted all quarters of the year.) Supervises the execution of program events, including student recruiting events such as information sessions, open houses, campus visits, etc.,
- Manages planning and arrangement of programs - meetings, workshops, trainings, events, etc. designed to provide information, promote resources and to build internal and external relationships.
- Manages event details including communication, venues, presenters, travel arrangements, materials, refreshments and technology ensuring that all are arranged and completed in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Researches peer, competitor, and state-of-the art developments to enhance, improve, and innovate program topics and delivery to better meet goals & objectives.
- Recruits, trains and assigns faculty/instructors to teach programs.
- Supervises creation of components, including curriculum development, lectures, conferences, seminars, support groups, etc.
- Supervises student programming such as colloquia, special student workshops, annual reception, fall party, convocation and graduate luncheon, and summer social event. Works with the Senior Career Advisor to design and manages innovative MSHE community learning experiences and events (workshops, talks, online community sites, etc.) to foster student placement, leveraging relationships formed with external professionals as well as with MSHE faculty, alumni, and university resources.
- Manages development and maintenance of evaluation processes including associated metrics and key performance indicators.
- Reviews & analyzes outcome measurements and recommends changes & enhancements to improve program.
- Collaborates with internal/external partners to implement changes designed to improve/increase program goals/objectives.
- Designs and sees through to completion special projects, for instance, studying program effectiveness, market-related questions, placements, and other programming effectiveness, etc. Assists in the development and execution of new program initiatives; and performs other duties as assigned.
Other duties as assigned.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.