Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Student Counselor for the Honors College, a unique interdisciplinary living-learning community in a diverse research institution. Reporting to the director of advising, the incumbent in this position engages in a high degree of interaction with integral units in the Honors College, including student affairs, residence life, recruitment, and professional development.
- Provides accurate and sound academic advising to students who come to the Honors College Advising Center.
- Works principally with the Rutgers School of Business and serves as primary point of contact for developing and maintaining relationships between the Honors College and the Rutgers - New Brunswick School of Business Honors College students.
- Provides academic, personal, career guidance and advising to assigned students and shares in the management responsibilities for the general academic advising provided for Honors College students in the School of Arts & Sciences, the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, the Mason Gross School of the Arts, the School of Environmental & Biological Sciences, and the School of Engineering.
- Provides group and individual workshops and assists in assessment to monitor students' performances and address any student needs and/or challenges.
- Develops and implements programs and activities that facilitate students' personal growth, social growth, and leadership development and collaborates with administrative staff and faculty for school and Honors College specific academic events.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University-New Brunswick took root more than 250 years ago. We are the state's most comprehensive intellectual resource-the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region's most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience, plus two years of substantive experience in student services, academic advising, teaching, or related student development experience in higher education.
- Strong written and verbal skills required, as well as the ability to work on group projects and team-oriented tasks.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications needed.
- Ability to work with or quickly learn student information databases and systems is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability and skill in addressing the issues and factors impacting high-achieving students.
- Master's degree
- At least two years’ student life experience, individual student advising experience
- Familiarity with the University and school-specific areas of specialty