The Student Success Coach is responsible for assisting students with the development and evaluation of an educational plan. S/he maintains and provides accurate program and course information for new and returning students seeking certificates, diplomas, and degrees. S/he provides information on all aspects of new student orientation, placement test interpretation, advising services, and career identification and selection. The Student Success Coach provides academic advising and career exploration guidance to new and continuing students in a face-to-face or online environment. S/he assists students in determining their major course of study by offering resources for self-exploration related to careers; interprets career assessment results and guides students in researching employment trends and gathering information related to careers of interest. S/he maintains current information related to resume writing, interviewing skills, and general job search strategies, providing resume critiques, interview advice, and mock interviews for students seeking employment. The Student Success Coach focuses efforts on assisting students with identifying and utilizing college resources that will support degree completion and further aid students in successfully accomplishing their academic goals. S/he assists with course selection, course withdrawal, program changes, and teaches students about technology available to them for registration. S/he monitors student educational progress and provides information about college academic and personal resources as necessary. S/he oversees a caseload of students through constant contact throughout the semester to ensure satisfactory academic progress. Responds to early alerts from faculty with outreach to students struggling in classes, offering assistance, and making referrals to college resources in an effort to promote student retention.This position serves as the Women's Head Basketball Coach in addition to maintaining a 30 hour work week in the Student Success Center. As the Women's Head Basketball Coach they will be responsible for ensuring a quality athletic program that emphasizes student academic success, ensures competitive success, NJCAA rules compliance, and fiscal accountability. This position reports to a Director in Student Support Services and the Athletic Director (coaching) and Vice President of Student Support Services with a dotted line reporting to the college President.
- Provide academic advising and career exploration services for new and continuing face-to-face and online students, assisting students in determining their college major by offering resources for self-exploration related to career opportunities and employment trends.
- Evaluate incoming transcripts and track completed courses to ensure students are guided to appropriate courses.
- Refer students to print and web-based resources related to career information.
- Make students aware of campus and community resources, including online student services and academic support services.·
- Provide students with information related to resume writing, interviewing skills, and general job search strategies.·
- Collaborate as a team member on delivery of career services, student retention initiatives, information nights/open houses, job fairs, transfer fairs, orientations, and Student Success workshops as needed.
- Participate in community outreach programs/presentations as appropriate.·
- Administer and interpret career interest/ability instruments, review, interpret, and evaluate applicant test scores and other information to determine course placement.· \
- Participate in college training offerings, departmental meetings, and statewide and regional professional development opportunities to improve knowledge and skill base and proficiency in the field.·
- Collect data and participate in the assessment of services as requested by the Director.·
- Actively serve as an effective member to appointed college committees and participate in college activities as requested.·
- Works collaboratively with instructional departments to provide appropriate advising services to students.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for advising information for assigned instructional division.·
- Coach, recruit, and train basketball players for the women's basketball team.· Responsible for organizing and conducting practice sessions and providing game preparation.·
- Determine play schedule and make all travel arrangements, submitting appropriate paperwork in a timely manner.·
- Represent GTCC in a professional manner in all settings; maintain professional attire.· Demonstrated ability to provide emphasis on academic success for all student athletes; continually monitor academic progress.·
- Provide leadership skills to student athletes that clearly demonstrate the importance of good citizenship both on and off the court.·
- Provide statistical analysis and academic reporting on all players as requested.· Maintain compliance with all NJCAA rules.·
- Work within the defined budget set forth for program implementation, recruiting, and scholarships.·
- Demonstrates and models the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.·
- Other duties as assigned by Director.
Guilford Technical Community College offers more than 80 programs of study and continues to support success through innovative education, training and partnerships. The college offers associate degrees, diplomas and certificates as well as noncredit courses in professional development, personal enrichment, job training, career development and basic education.As the third largest of 58 community colleges in the North Carolina Community College System, GTCC serves more than 40,000 students annually from its Jamestown, Greensboro, High Point, Aviation and Donald W. Cameron campuses as well as its Small Business Center in Greensboro and High Point.