Whittier College invites applications for the position of Advisor for Health & Science Professions. Whittier is a vibrant, diverse four-year college distinguished by its small size and a nationally-recognized liberal arts program. The College has a history of strong and innovative interdisciplinary programs and experiential learning, service, and leadership. Located in the heart of Southern California between Los Angeles and Orange County, Whittier College is one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, serving students not only of different ethnic and geographic heritage, but also of a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds.Reporting to the Title V Project Director, the Advisor for Health & Science Professions is responsible for coordinating a comprehensive program of advising and academic support services, including placement in research experiences and internships, for undergraduate students pursuing degrees in science and health-related disciplines. In cooperation with faculty advisors, the Center for Academic Advising and Success, and the Center for Career and Professional Development, the Advisor for Health and Science Professions will contribute to improving the retention and success of health and science undergraduates. The successful candidate will have expertise in science and/or a pre-health field, experience developing collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, and research and internship partners, and knowledge of student retention practices. The Advisor for Health & Science Professions is a five-year contractual position, contingent upon the annual renewal of Title V federal funding and satisfactory performance.
• In coordination with science and pre-health faculty advisors, provide individualized and group advising to students interested/majoring in science and pre-health areas on academic policies, exploring majors, creating educational plans, career clarification, internships, research fellowships, alumni relations, and the graduate and professional school application process
• Collaborate with faculty to promote cooperative relationships and to seek experiential learning opportunities that align with the academic goals of science and pre-health majors
• Prepare undergraduates to pursue research experiences and fellowships, job shadowing and internships, and graduate school admissions including the identification of appropriate opportunities, resume and personal statement preparation, and effective interview skills
• Foster and maintain relationships with a wide range of corporate, government, and non-profit organizations, alumni, students, parents, and faculty to create science and pre-health internship partnerships
• Maintain relationships with professional science and pre-health organizations that provide networking and marketing opportunities with potential employers
• Collect data on student appointments, employer contacts, and presentations for analysis, evaluation, and program improvement; track and maintain accurate records on the number of students engaging in internships
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with internal contacts such as Alumni Relations, Disabilities Services, CAAS, Athletics Dept., etc. while promoting research, job shadowing, and internship opportunities for science and pre-health students
• Serve as a campus expert and resource to students, faculty, and staff on science and health professions programs; Facilitate development of knowledge among other offices and academic departments regarding pre-health topics; Act as the College’s science and pre-health professions representative at admissions, orientations, and fellowship events
• Other duties as assigned
Please submit a cover letter, résumé or CV, salary history, and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place “Title V Advisor” in the subject line of the email or mail documents to Whittier College, Attn: Lisa Galicia, Associate Director of Foundation & Government Relations, 13406 E Philadelphia Street Whittier, CA 90608. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the application period will remain open until the position is filled. An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive background check.Whittier College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants because of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal Law.
Associate Director of Foundation & Government Relations