Transfer Advisor (2 positions)
Categories: Mid Atlantic Region 2
|Virginia Commonwealth University
|Feb 28 2018 10:00PM
|March 30, 2018
The Office of Student Success at Virginia Commonwealth University is seeking to hire two Transfer Advisors and invites applicants for an exciting opportunity. The Transfer Center is dedicated to providing transfer credit information, referrals, and support to transfer students through the transcript evaluation process. Services are provided to transfer undergraduate students through pre-admission and transition advising; coordination of activities with Admissions and Orientation offices; and advocacy assistance in facilitating connections to the campus community.
In addition to demonstrating full understanding of VCU’s academic requirements and policies, the successful candidate will:
- Evaluate and articulate incoming transfer credits.
- Enter approved transfer credits to students' records in accordance with University policies and guidelines and practice routine verification of the accuracy of data.
- Build relationships with advising representatives and students from the Virginia Community College System and Richard Bland College.
- Provide transition assistance through advising and programming to incoming transfer students
- Work with continuing VCU students one-on-one and in small groups to provide advising support.
- Maintain communication with academic departments in order to accurately refer students to appropriate departmental offices, faculty, and support services for help with academic and personal needs.
- Provide service in-person, by phone and via email to current students who have questions/concerns with transfer credits.
- Assist in other areas of the Office of Student Success as needed.
Please visit https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/76593 to apply. Only electronic applications submitted through https://www.vcujobs.com will be accepted.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For additional information, please contact Diane Dettmore at 804-828-6124.
- A master’s degree is required.
- Applicants should have 1-5 years’ experience working with college students in a University setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Other qualifications include knowledge of VCU and VCU’s admission policies; ability to use office automation, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software, as well as SCT Banner; ability to provide clear direction and establish efficient priorities; excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to multitask; ability to work well with others in the office and within the broader university environment; demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU is required.
- A master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, or a related field.