Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Categories: Northeast Region 1
|College of Engineering
|University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth
|Open Until Filled
The Undergraduate Academic Advisor adheres to campus-wide advising standards, policies, procedures and practices for academic advising at UMass Dartmouth. Assists with the ongoing assessment and improvement of academic advising. The Advisor provides students with information and advice concerning University studies and major program requirements. The Academic Advisor advises students on the development of their educational plan and makes appropriate referrals to assist students in the selection of their major and evaluation of their educational progress. Follows protocols for students placed on academic warning and probation.
- Work with the Director of the ASPIRE office to coordinate and provide academic advising in the College as well as information about appropriate resources and opportunities.
- Counsel students in the College individually and conduct general advising sessions.
- Explain program requirements to enrolled and prospective students.
- Consult on issues pertaining to transfer course equivalencies for current and potential students.
- Develop and update student academic plans as necessary.
- Communicate with Chairs and faculty on general and specific advising issues.
- Meet regularly with students on academic deficiencies (warning, probation, dismissal, and reinstated) to develop strategies for academic success.
- Serve as the Dean's designee on all Financial Aid SAP paperwork.
- Assist new COE students, both freshmen and transfers, at orientation and registration days.
- Attend professional seminars, workshops, and conferences on academic advisement in higher education.
- Other tasks as assigned.
For the complete position description, please go to http://www.umassd.edu/hr/employmentopportunities/. To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.The review of applications will begin January 5, 2018, and continue until the position is filled.
UMass Dartmouth is an AA/EEO employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from members of these and other protected groups.The University of Massachusetts reserves the right to conduct background checks on potential employees.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Demonstrated (over three years) experience advising undergraduate students at the college/university level.
- Be knowledgeable of the University and College curriculum content and requirements
- Able to counsel students with severe academic difficulty
- Strong knowledge of the University academic standards, policies and procedures as well as eligibility requirements
- Strong organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Able to relate to students, parents, faculty and University personnel
- Able to report and interpret data
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of advising principles and practice
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering
- Experience working with underrepresented, underprepared or low income students
- Demonstrated experience advising engineering or science undergraduate students.