Undergraduate Academic Advisor provides advice and general guidance to students concerning academic matters, and identifies and solves problems in time for students to make necessary changes to meet graduation requirements and deadlines. This position develops, writes and compiles information necessary to aid Biological Sciences faculty in advising and instructional duties; assists with student recruitment and retention; and informs prospective students about requirements and opportunities in Biological Sciences. In addition, this position works closely with the departmental advising team, the College of Science advising office, the Dean of Students and the University Registrar, and works with the departmental webmaster to continually update the Biological Science's undergraduate web-site.ods of approach to effectively develop rapport and facilitate the success of students.
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
- Undergraduate academic support experience, and ability to interpret and communicate student policies and procedures.
- Computer skills such as electronic file management, word processing, database management, and working with spreadsheets.
- Experience with software such as MS Office.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team to meet frequent deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Bachelor's degree in, education, advising, counseling or related field, or equivalent level of training and or experience.
- Experience working with students to resolve academic and personal issues.
- Experience working with confidential records.
- Working knowledge of Virginia Tech undergraduate policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of the university student record systems (BANNER).
- Teaching experience.
- Understanding of and commitment to the KSU Principles of Community.