• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a job-related field required.
• Two years of professional student services work experience. (A master's degree in a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience.)
• Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and activities of the program to which assigned.
• General knowledge of the methods and problems of organizational and program management.
• General knowledge of research and interview techniques; and of the principles of individual and group behavior.
• Ability to interpret and apply program rules and regulations; use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements.
• Ability to obtain factual and interpretative information through interviews; reason logically; collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data.
• Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required.
• Ability to recognize multicultural, multisexed and multi‑aged value systems and work accordingly.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts.
• Ability to rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of Cal Maritime.
• Demonstrate ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas Services Office.
• Excellent organizational skills, including ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft Campus Solutions 9.0
• Knowledge of the CSU and California community college systems
• Knowledge of maritime industry and majors