Deadline to apply is March 10, 2017
There are two award categories:
- Academic Advising--Primary Role — Individuals whose primary role at the institution is the direct delivery of advising services to students.
- Faculty Academic Advising — Individuals whose primary responsibility is teaching and who spend a portion of their time providing academic advising services to students.
- Any individual serving as an academic advisor or faculty academic advisor for three (3) or fewer years, and is employed by a regionally accredited post-secondary institution may be nominated. NACADA membership is not required.
- Current members of the Board of Directors and Council are not eligible for consideration for this award. After the member’s term of office is over, s/he may then be eligible for consideration.
- Previous Outstanding New Advisor Award winners or Certificate of Merit recipients are not eligible. Previous Outstanding Advising Award winners or Certificate of Merit recipients are not eligible.
- Only one nominee per category per institution will be considered.
The Selection Committee will evaluates on evidence of qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor or faculty advisor, using the same criteria as is used for the Outstanding Advising Awards:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Availability to advisees, faculty, or staff
- Frequency of contact with advisees
- Appropriate referral activity
- Use and dissemination of appropriate information sources
- Evidence of student success rate, by advisor or department
- Caring, helpful attitude toward advisees, faculty, and staff
- Meeting advisees in informal settings
- Participation in and support of intrusive advising to build strong relationships with advisees
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to engage in, promote, and support developmental advising
- Evidence of administering an academic advising program that supports NACADA's Core Values.
- Evidence that the advising program reflects the standards of good practice in the CAS Standards and Guidelines for Academic Advising.
- Participation in and support of advisor development programs
- Perception by colleagues of nominee's advising skills
- Institutional recognition of nominee for outstanding advising
Nominations must contain adequate factual or narrative material that describes the extent to which an individual meets the awards criteria. Include the following items in the order listed below and use objective data to support the nomination.
- A completed Nomination Submission.
- Two separate PDF files as outlined-
File #1 includes:
- A Summary of the Nominee’s Qualifications- In this key piece, the nominator should summarize the extent to which the nominee meets the award criteria, citing letters of support, data, or other materials illustrative of exemplary performance as an advisor.
- Nominee Resume or Curriculum Vita- Please limit entries to material that pertains directly to academic advising, presenting relevant information from the nominees overall resume/vita. Please include your current job with either a position description or a list of job responsibilities.
- A Personal Statement of Advising and Advising Philosophy.
File #2 contains all appendices which support the nominator’s recommendation including:
- Representative materials developed by the nominee.
- Letters of support from advisees, colleagues, and administrators. Letters of support or additional materials sent separate from the nomination packet will not be considered.
- Other pertinent information from nominator.
Appendices are limited to a maximum of 40 pages. The online system will allow you to submit more than one attachment for the appendices but the total number of pages if printed should be no more than 40.
*Nominations must include only original documentation prepared specifically for the NACADA Global Awards Program. Materials intended for other award programs will not be considered.
Please be sure to review the Submission Instructions page before beginning your nomination.
Nomination Submission Portal