Connecting with an established member of NACADA
A strong network of contacts in NACADA
Creation of a NACADA leadership goals timeline and guidance in the fulfillment of those goals
Financial assistance of $1500 for each Emerging Leader to be used towards expenses related to attending NACADA events (i.e. regional and annual conferences, Summer Institute, Assessment Institute, Administrators Institute)
Annual Conference recognition of Mentors and Emerging Leaders and their successes
Assistance in learning about and utilizing NACADA opportunities and resources
Involvement in NACADA activities and leadership opportunities
The requirements for the Emerging Leader applicants are:
- At the time of application, must have been a member (general) of NACADA for at least TWO (2) years and must be a current NACADA member - NO EXCEPTIONS. (It is recommended that an applicant have at least 3 years of NACADA membership before applying for this program.)
- Must be able to demonstrate active involvement in the association.
- Must agree to a two-year obligation with Mentor, and a total of 2 1/2 years with the program (which includes preparatory assignments over the summer prior to the Emerging Leader-Mentor pairing, which takes place in October and begins the 2-year official mentorship period).
- Must be able to articulate goals for increasing involvement in NACADA leadership and how taking part in the program will support those goals.
- Must be able to articulate how their participation in the program will support the program goal of providing intentional leadership development to members of populations within the NACADA membership who are underrepresented in the association leadership.
- Must be willing and able to attend online meetings in the Zoom environment during the summer prior to the program period beginning to become acquainted with potential mentors.
- Must be able to demonstrate institutional support for attending at least two of the three Annual Conferences that will occur during the program period. Applicants for the 2018-2020 Class MUST be able to attend the 2018 Annual Conference in Phoenix, AZ and will NOT be able to be involved in pre-conference workshops. (ELP Orientation will take place on 'pre-conference day'.) They will also be expected to attend the 2019 Conference in Louisville, KY and/or the 2020 Conference in San Juan, PR (where they will be awarded Certificates of Completion). Attendance at other NACADA events is encouraged, but not required.
- Must agree to take part in personal and program evaluation and assessment.
The application period for the 2018-2020 Class is January 15-March 15, 2018; for consideration by the selection committee for the 2018-2020 Class, plan to submit your completed application packet by midnight Central time on March 15, 2018 (no exceptions).
We encourage applicants to begin thinking and preparing application materials well in advance of the deadline. Applicants are required to respond to the following questions (in PDF format):
- How will your involvement in the Emerging Leaders Program support the program goal of providing increased representation from an underrepresented constituency in NACADA? Applicants may wish to review the NACADA diversity statement on the Inclusion and Engagement Committee webpage
- Discuss your prior involvement with NACADA and what you have gained from that involvement. Specifically, explain how you have taken part in event(s), contributed to publication(s), and/or joined and actively participated in group(s). Please begin with what you are most proud of or what your biggest commitment with NACADA has been. We would like to hear about all of your accomplishments in NACADA but are most interested in the ones that also meant the most to you.
- How do you see yourself participating in the association as a future NACADA Leader, and how will involvement in this program assist you in achieving those goals? Please do not concentrate on how your NACADA involvement will affect your home campus, but rather on how you want to be further involved within NACADA.
Potential Emerging Leader applicants should also plan ahead to secure the following letters of support, which they will need to upload to the online system in PDF format at the time of application:
- Letter from applicant's supervisor that includes his/her recommendation of the application, demonstrates his/her understanding that a two-year commitment is required (including Annual Conference attendance), and indicates level of available institutional support (including financial). (Please be certain the writer is identified as your supervisor in the letter.)
- Letter of recommendation from another NACADA member who can attest to the applicant's involvement in the association and demonstrate understanding of and support for the leadership goals. (Please be certain the writer is identified as a NACADA member in the letter.)
Online Application Submission Process
- Check your NACADA profile/account to be certain your membership (general, not student) is current and of at least two years in length, and that your name, institution, and email address is the same in your account as you will use in your application. All applications must be verified against the NACADA database for eligibility before the submission deadline, and there may not be time to make corrections after the application is submitted.
- Gather the required application materials prior to starting your submission.
- Make sure that the application materials are saved in PDF format.
- Access the Online Submission Portal using Internet Explorer (available Jan 15 - March 15, 2018 for the 2018-2020 Class).
- Enter a password - this can be simple and you can use the same one for other NACADA award submissions.
- In the “Type” section, select the radial button for Emerging Leaders Program (ELP)
- From the drop-down list under “Category,” select Emerging Leader.
- Be sure to write down your Application Nomination Number and your password so if you have to stop and come back to the nomination form, you can do so easily!
- Enter the information as it is requested. NOTE: The NOTIFICATION section is for you to list those people who you would like notified if you are selected for ELP. We suggest your chancellor/president/provost and your supervisor(s).
- When you are ready, don't forget to hit the SUBMIT button!
- Contact NACADA at email@example.com if you do not receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your nomination after you have completed the online submission process. If possible, include the application #.
Review of applications will begin immediately at the close of the application period, with the goal of having the selection process complete and applicants notified by mid-April.