The requirements for Mentors are:
At the time of application, must have been a member of NACADA for at least two years and be a current member.
Must agree to a two-year obligation as a Mentor and secure institutional support to be a part of the program.
Must be either a current or past NACADA Leader. This can be at the regional or national level; in an elected or appointed position (chair of a committee, advisory board, task force, Region, Commission, Interest Group); and/or a leader in the research and/or publications arenas.
Must be willing to provide guidance and support for assigned Emerging Leader in the creation of a written plan.
Must agree to provide feedback on Emerging Leader's progress reports.
Must be willing and able to attend online meetings in the Zoom environment during the summer prior to the program period beginning to become acquainted with potential mentees.
Must be willing and able to attend at least one annual conference, at Mentor's expense, to be paired with Emerging Leader. Applicants for the 2019-2021 Class MUST be able to attend the 2019 Annual Conference in Louisville, KY and may not be able to be involved in afternoon pre-conference workshops. (ELP Orientation and pairing will take place on 'pre-conference day' and it is possible timing may not allow pre-con participation.) If at all possible, mentors will also be expected to attend the 2020 Conference in San Juan, PR and/or the 2021 Conference in Cincinnati, OH (where the ELP Class will be awarded Certificates of Completion). Attendance at other NACADA events is encouraged, but not required. The Mentor and Emerging Leader will determine the method of communication that will work best for their situation over the two years of their work together following their pairing at Annual Conference.
Must agree to conduct evaluation of Emerging Leader and program at the end of each year and report those evaluations to NACADA.
We encourage you to apply to be NACADA Mentor!
The application period for the 2019-2021 Class begins on January 15, 2019; for consideration by the selection committee for the 2019-2021 Class, please submit your completed application packet via the web portal.
We encourage applicants to begin thinking and preparing application materials well in advance of the deadline. Applicants are required to respond to the following questions (in PDF format):
- What leadership role(s) have you had in NACADA and how long were you in each role? Please simply list these roles.
- Of the above leadership roles, please speak to the one that had most meaning for you. What was special about this role and why is it significant to you.
- Why do you want to serve as a mentor for the Emerging Leader program?
- What is the value of a mentoring relationship for both the mentor and the mentee? Please use in your answer any experiences you have had in a mentoring relationship.
At the time of application, applicants will also be required to upload the following, in PDF format:
- Letter of recommendation from another NACADA member who can attest to your leadership in the association and articulate support for your readiness to serve as a mentor.
Online Application Submission
- Gather the required application materials prior to starting your submission.
- Make sure that the application materials are saved in PDF format.
- Access the Online Submission Portal using Internet Explorer (will be available January 15 - March 15, 2019 for the 2019-2021 Class).
- Enter a password - this can be simple and you can use the same one for other NACADA award submissions.
- In the “Type” section, select the radial button for Emerging Leaders Program (ELP).
- From the drop-down list under “Category,” select Mentor.
- Be sure to write down your Application Nomination Number and your password so if you have to stop and come back to the nomination form, you can do so easily!
- Enter the information as it is requested. NOTE: The NOTIFICATION section is for you to list those people who you would like notified if you are selected for ELP. We suggest your chancellor/president/provost and your supervisor(s).
- When ready, don't forget to hit the SUBMIT button!
- Contact NACADA at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your nomination after you have completed the online submission process. If possible, include the application #.
Review of applications will begin immediately at the close of the application period, with the goal of having the selection process completed and applicants notified as soon as possible.