Welcome! This community was first formed as interest group in April 2001 to identify and address issues pertaining to first-generation (first gens) college students. Ongoing discussions focus on the definition of terms, ways of identifying first-generation students, and concerns particular to these students. First-gens are represented in virtually all areas of NACADA, but are not often studied/researched in detail. We strive to provide resources that answer the questions:
- What does it mean to be a first-generation student?
- How does one navigate the complexities of Academe with only limited family guidance and support?
- Is there financial support specifically for first-gens?
- What barriers do first-gens face that other students do not?
- Does first-gen status make a difference in academic success?
This community welcomes your input. If you are interested in joining our LISTSERV to engage in discussions concerning first-generation college students, click here, or to join our Facebook page and network with other first-gen advising professionals and share ideas, research, and more, click here.