Overview The Kinesiology and Health Science Department (KHS) is seeking to hire a qualified and motivated individual to provide academic advising to undergraduate majors, minors, and students exploring degrees and emphases in the department. The advisor will also help build a positive culture around the academic programs, including engagement through student activities and opportunities. The advisor in this 12-month position can expect to spend about 85% of their time advising students, 15% involves department and staff meetings, professional development, and service to the advising system on campus. Advertised Salary Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
- Communicate effectively in writing, speaking, and electronic venues.
- Maintain and update student files and track student progress utilizing electronic systems.
- Assist students in identifying a realistic timeframe to complete their educational goals and support their efforts.
- Provide current and accurate advising information.
- Make advising available to students throughout their time at the institution.
- Monitor academic progress and direct students to appropriate resources and programs.
- Stay current on available campus resources. Raise awareness of resources and refer students as appropriate to meet their individual needs.
- Update and maintain career information pertaining to KHS majors.
- Master institutional policies pertaining to functions or activities they support and to privacy and confidentiality policies and laws regarding access to student records and other sensitive institutional information.
- Assist with student recruitment and campus events on and off campus as needed.
- Assist with student orientations during the summer.
- Serve on university committees as assigned.
- Participate in professional development activities.
Please apply through our online application at https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/1365/academic-advisor/job. Along with the online application, please attach: 1. Resume to be uploaded to the applicant profile 2. Cover letter Please do not attach cover letter. You will be instructed to copy and paste your cover letter in the application. **Document size may not exceed 10 MB.**
University Highlights Utah State University (USU) was founded in 1888 and is honored to be Utah’s land-grant and space-grant university. USU is a Carnegie RU/H (Research University/High Research Activity) institution with approximately 28,000 students (25,000 undergraduates and 3,000 graduate students) on the Logan main campus, four regional campuses, two USU Eastern campuses, and 28 centers throughout the state. USU offers 162 undergraduate majors, 153 graduate programs, and a variety of innovative stackable associate and certificate credentials. The 2018 rankings from Washington Monthly ranked USU as one of the top 30 national Universities and the 5th best public national university in the nation. As one of the two premier research institutions in Utah, USU is proud to provide a high-quality education at an affordable price. Additional information about Utah State University can be found at: https://www.usu.edu/about/at-a-glance/. A core characteristic of USU is engagement with communities and people in economic development, improvements to quality of life, and human capital.
Through the practical application of knowledge, the University and its faculty engage and share expertise with the state, nation, and world, preserving the historical land-grant tradition of partnering with communities to address critical societal issues in the interest of the public good. The USU main campus is located in beautiful Logan, Utah; a city of about 50,000 situated in a picturesque mountain valley about 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and proximate region. Additional information about Logan can be found at: http://www.loganutah.org/visitors/about_logan/index.php. USU recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the university’s academic mission of learning, discovery, and engagement (https://www.usu.edu/president/missionstatement/). USU is an AA/EO employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity/expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy or local, state, or federal law. Learn more at www.aaeo.usu.edu/non-discrimination. USU is sensitive to the needs of dual career couples and provides a Dual Career Assistance program. Additional information can be found at: http://www.usu.edu/provost/faculty-life/dual-career-assistance.cfm.
ADA Employees work indoors and are protected from weather and/or contaminants, but not, necessarily, occasional temperature changes. The employee is regularly required to sit and often uses repetitive hand motions.
Raquel Friddle firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in human development, psychology, counseling, human resources, sociology or other related field.
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work under pressure and in high stress situations and maintain professionalism.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting with a commitment to creating a collaborative environment.
- Excellent computer literacy skills, such as Microsoft Office.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, sensitivity, and discretion and abide by all FERPA laws.
- Ability to serve individuals with diverse personalities through the use of effective interpersonal and communication skills using various communication media.
- Previous experience working in a higher education or secondary education setting strongly preferred.
- 1-3 years’ experience in advising or a student services related area.
- Broad knowledge of USU academic programs, general education requirements, graduation requirements and student services.
- Understanding of University IT systems, including Degree Works, Banner, and Appointment Manager.