Academic Advisor I -
Brandman University invites qualified candidates to apply for the
Academic Advisor I Online opening at our Central Office. The Academic Advisor I
Online position will advise undergraduate and/or graduate students regarding
program requirements and course scheduling. The successful candidate will
implement student retention strategies, communicate and collaborate throughout
the university advising community, assist in the development of course
schedules, and facilitate student information and orientation sessions.
General direction from the Director of Student Services
Online. While incumbent will provide information and make decisions,
incumbent will conduct business using reflected authority following established
policies and procedures.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
functions: 100% of time
Maintain current student files and database; respond to requests for information
• Participate in new student orientation sessions both
• Advise undergraduate and graduate students on the development of
individual learning outcomes based on their skills, goals, responsibilities and
• Review student records and meet with individual students to
assess their educational, vocational and life goals.
• Work with students to
develop and update short and long-term plans to meet those goals, while
ensuring compliance to standards, policies and procedures.
• Encourage and
provide training to students on utilizing online resources (i.e. web advisor,
Chapman email, online library, etc…)
• Monitor individual student progress and
perform proactive advising outreach to students.
• Prepare supporting documents for
student advising files.
• Analyze and resolve student issues associated with
program requirements, course scheduling and degree matriculation.
and apply academic policies for student degree requirements and academic
progress as needed.
• Collaborate with campus staff to identify creative
solutions to enhance the student’s overall educational experience.
• Pursue and
demonstrate content knowledge regarding specific degree, credential and
• Pursue and demonstrate content knowledge regarding
current learning outcome model of academic advising as endorsed by the National
Academic Advising Association.
• Conduct and facilitate new student orientation
sessions both individually and as a group.Retention Management
• Implement retention
action plans for academic programs at the assigned campus.
• Implement student
programming activities to enhance the overall educational experience of
students at the campus
• Prepare program summary analyses, evaluative reports
and recommendations for Campus Director.
• Pursue exit interviews with students
who withdraw from the university in order to improve current retention plans
and develop new plans to address emerging issues.
• Assist in developing long
term and session course schedules.Outreach
• Implement community outreach
• Participate in local education fairs and meetings with local business
leaders to promote campus programs and develop partnerships with the
• Conduct information sessions for prospective students.Participate
in the implementation of specific program strategy at the assigned campus,
using content specific knowledge, in order to increase marketing effectiveness
and program enrollments.
• Respond to complex inquiries relating to program
requirements, curriculum and course offerings.Testing and Educational Services
Coordinate testing and comprehensive exam or final project administration at
the local campus and in cooperation with the Orange Campus and the central
• Coordinate articulation, student teaching, internship opportunities
with external entities, as needed.
• Participate in the planning and
implementation of Campus Graduation, credential completion and other campus
• Other duties as assignedNon-Essential Functions of the Job: None
identified at this time.
For a full job
description and requirements, please visit our site at http://apptrkr.com/572764 to apply.
Apply online at: http://apptrkr.com/572764
• 1-3 years directly related experience, preferably in a higher
• Demonstrated knowledge of academic advising theories
• Working knowledge of General Education and transfer
requirements, with demonstrated ability to critically evaluate student records
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to explain
academic policies and procedures to diverse constituents, including students,
faculty and staff.
• General knowledge of enrollment management and retention
best practices and the ability to apply them to an adult learning environment.
• Demonstrated understanding of curriculum for degree, credential and
• Working knowledge of student information systems as
related to student records and advising, preferably of Datatel Colleague and
• Working knowledge of federal regulations such as Family Education
Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as it
relates to student accommodation.
• Strong analytical skills to gather data.
Experience in interpreting and applying academic policies for student degree
requirements and academic progress.
• Experience in resolving academic issues
that also involve the vocational and life goals of the student.
• Skilled in the
assessment of the learning needs of individual students based on the students’
skills, goals, responsibilities and experiences.
• Skill to develop creative and
innovative solutions to complex student issues.
• Strong organizational skills
to prioritize workload and provide counseling and advice to assigned students
in a timely manner.
• Skill to work both independently as a team member.
writing skills to prepare clear, concise and grammatically correct documents,
reports and correspondence.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with
diverse constituents and to provide high quality support and customer service
• Sensitivity to the needs of students from diverse backgrounds.
Ability to use tact and diplomacy and maintain high level of confidentiality.
Ability to abide by the ethical standards and guidelines for academic
• Computer skills in the use of word processing, spreadsheet,
database, electronic mail and internet applications, preferably of Microsoft
Office Suite software.
• Technical skills to learn and use online tools and
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Demonstrated skills to perform outreach and conduct persuasive public
presentations of educational programs.
• Working knowledge of Brandman University’s mission, catalog,
policies and procedures.
• Working knowledge of and experience in the
application of adult learning principles and higher education policies.
Understanding and ability to apply the learning outcome model of academic
advising as endorsed by the National Academic Advising Association.Knowledge
and Education: Bachelor’s degree required