Florida Atlantic University seeks an energetic, flexible, passionate candidate to be an Academic Advisor I in the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters, Boca Raton, FL. The Academic Advisor I regularly interacts with students, parents, university personnel and the public.
- Provide accurate and holistic advisement to students majoring in the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters. Effectively utilize existing tools and resources.
- Assist students with decision-making, problem-solving, goal-setting/attainment strategies, and make appropriate recommendations and/or referrals. Demonstrate excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Facilitate student independence and learning via the advisement relationship and interactions, based on understanding and application of academic advising practices, theoretical frameworks and student development theory.
- Communicate and work effectively with Student Academic Services colleagues; make positive and constructive contributions to foster a collegial team environment.
- Create and maintain academic records and electronic for students/advisees; track student progress and assist with outreach/retention efforts.
- Collaborate with other student-centered offices across the University to facilitate student success and completion. Communicate with College faculty and leadership as appropriate.
- Participate in University-led student recruitment and orientation activities as well as College-specific events to increase student engagement and retention.
- Demonstrate commitment to academic advising as a profession, take initiative to engage in professional development and learning opportunities specific to the advising field.
For more information and to apply, visit www.fau.edu/jobs and go to Apply Now (REQ05695). Florida Atlantic University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/equal access institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status or other protected status. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711. FAU is committed to the principles of engaged teaching, research and service. All persons aspiring to achieve excellence in the practice of these principles are encouraged to apply.
Florida Atlantic University
Laura Mooney email@example.com
Master's degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specializations and one (1) year of experience in advising, counseling, orientation, student services, or related field at a University or College level required (this may include a graduate-level internship and/or practicum).
Specialization in Higher Education Administration/Student Affairs preferred. Work experience and/or undergraduate educational background in major(s) and minor(s) within the College of Arts and Letters preferred. General knowledge of College and University degree requirements preferred. Experience with student database software and degree audit software, prior use of Banner/DARS preferred.
Prior experience in academic advisement in a higher education setting, particularly working with undergraduate, first-generation, non-traditional, veterans or underprepared students preferred. Knowledge of basic advising/counseling techniques, student development, strong attention to detail, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills preferred. Must be adaptable in a fast-pasted environment and able to work as part of a dynamic team. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally is required. Computer proficiency, including use of MS Office Suite required.