The primary responsibilities of the Academic Advisor I are to meet with assigned students, provide each student with accurate information about the student's intended degree program, make recommendations about course selection for upcoming semesters, generate advising forms detailing these recommendations, and maintain notes about these meetings.
Advisors also assist students with referrals to departments and other colleges at UGA, study abroad programs, tutoring and other forms of academic assistance. Advisors at this level are expected to have full knowledge of resources that support students in areas other than their academic life and to refer students to appropriate individuals and offices as needed.
An Academic Advisor I must maintain consistent contact with their students, maintain accurate student records, and respond in a timely manner to questions from their students.
Regular attendance at staff meetings is mandatory and workshop and retreat attendance is also an expected part of the position. All Advisors must be available and able to work throughout June, July and early August orientation sessions for incoming freshmen and transfers.
- Meet with students to recommend courses for the next semester, prepare advising forms, answer student questions, and direct students to resources on campus. This involves extensive prep time and awareness of various campus related software and resources.
- Answer student and staff emails, schedule meetings and networking opportunities, and work on projects to benefit the advising office. A high level of independent work is expected.
- Answer student questions during open office hours
- Regularly attend weekly staff meetings for updates, any scheduled committee meetings, and others as needed.
- Attend any classes related to academic advising or related materials. This can include, but is not limited to, the Certificate in Academic Advising.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.