The Academic Advisor I is an entry level advising position. Under direct supervision, the Advisor I will be engaged in academic advising activities that support UA at the institution or college level.
- This position will meet with prospective students, conduct group orientation for incoming freshmen in summer;
- assist with class scheduling, recruiting, and process override requests.
- Will also coordinate scholarship activities, and assessment data, and perform transcript review as needed.
- Teaching one HDFS class per semester will be an additional part of the duties.
The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants to and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. "EEO is the Law" Poster
Minimum - $ 14.00 Midpoint - $ 20.38
Qualified candidates for this position are required to have:
- MS in Human Development and Family Studies or closely related field,
- Strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with faculty, staff, and students,
- Experience in advising or other student mentorship activities.
- Some experience in teaching in a higher education setting is preferred.
- This could be experience gained as a Graduate Teaching Assistant.
- Ability to work with a diverse population.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Public speaking skills.
- Computer skills to include word processing, spreadsheet and/or database management.
- Good planning, coordinating, and organizing skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read and interpret policies and procedures.