Academic Advisor I
Categories: Mid South Region 3
|Haslam College of Business
|University of Tennessee - Knoxville
|Open Until Filled
The academic advisor will serve as a member of HCB undergraduate team. The advisor will collaborate with students to co?create educational plans in ways that are consistent with their aspirations, interests, strengths, and values? preparing them for a life of learning in a diverse and global society. The academic advisor will support students as they transition at various points throughout their academic careers at UT which include:
- self-exploration that focuses on strengths, interests, and values
- major and career exploration
- identification of co?curricular, career and experience learning, and leadership opportunities to support both academic and professional development, and
- selection of major and development of an academic plan that aligns with strengths, aspirations, and abilities
The academic advisor has the responsibility to advise undergraduate HCB students promoting retention and graduation. The academic advisor supports all services related to new student and transfer orientation advising sessions and conducts academic probation interventions, along with study abroad academic advising appointments. The academic advisor position responsibilities are grounded in best practices as outlined in the University of Tennessee, Knoxville Academic Advisor Career Path. A person holding this position will be expected to create professional development plans with their supervisor that will include advancement on the Career Path.
The Haslam College of Business (HCB) Undergraduate Programs Office provides comprehensive academic advising services for approximately 4800 undergraduate students. The college has a collaborative advising team focused on assisting students in developing and implementing sound educational plans consistent with their values and academic and career goals. This is an exempt, 12-month, full-time, non-tenure track staff position that provides an exciting opportunity to be a part of UT's Advising 2020 strategic plan that integrates academic and career advising with self-exploration, leadership, and experience learning.
- Master's degree or documentation the degree is attainable within one academic term of employment
- Requires experience working with students in a college or university setting.
- Experience advising, mentoring, or academic coaching undergraduate students.
- Candidates must have the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the university.
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate change.
- Administrative and organizational skills with the ability to handle simultaneous projects.
- Ability to utilize technology that supports both students and professional practice (MS Word, Excel, Student Information Systems, Degree Audits, Internet/On?line Resources and Support.
- Experience advising veterans, international, and re?entry adult students.
- Experience conducting freshmen and/or transfer orientations.
- Experience working in a team?oriented environment and collaborates with campus partners.