The College of Communication & Information at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is seeking a vibrant, dynamic individual interested in working in a team environment dedicated to student success. The College of Communication & Information has an innovative and collaborative advising team focused on assisting students in developing and implementing sound educational plans consistent with their values and academic and career goals. This is an exempt, 12-month, full-time, non-tenure track staff position that provides an exciting opportunity to be a part of UT’s Advising 2020 strategic plan that integrates academic and career advising with self-exploration, leadership, and experience learning. The Position: The Academic Advisor will serve as a staff member in the Communication & Information Center for Undergraduate Studies and Advising. The Academic Advisor position exists to provide comprehensive academic advising to Communication & Information undergraduate students and to promote academic advising as a critical component of the educational experience and an essential tool for academic success. The Academic Advisor position responsibilities are grounded in best practices as outlined in the University of Tennessee, Knoxville Academic Advisor Career Path. A person holding this position will be expected to create professional development plans with their supervisor that will include advancement on the Career Path.
The Academic Advisor will support students as they transition at various points throughout their academic careers at UT which include:
- Self-exploration that focuses on strengths, interests, and values
- Major and career exploration
- Identification of co-curricular, career and experience learning, and leadership opportunities to support both academic and professional development
- Selection of major and development of an academic plan that aligns with the student’s strengths, aspirations, and abilities.
The Academic Advisor will:
- Guide students in critically reflecting on academic and career goals
- Foster students’ intellectual and personal development toward academic success
- Conduct academic advising appointments and assess student progress
- Provide and/or teach students college/university curricula, academic standards, and the purpose of General Education
- Interpret and advise students on University and College of Communication & Information academic policies and processes
- Provide services related to new student and transfer orientation advising sessions
- Represent the College of Communication & Information at university-wide events and at college events related to student advising and recruitment.
For full consideration, applicants must electronically submit a letter of interest, resume, and the name, address, email, and phone number of three professional references to Human Resources, https://hr.utk.edu/
The University: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is the state’s flagship research institution, a campus of choice for outstanding undergraduates, and a premier graduate institution. Enrolling 27,000 students, the campus is located within the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and beautiful East Tennessee. As a land-grant university guided by its VolVision 2020 strategic plan, it is committed to excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, outreach, and engagement. In all its activities, the university aims to advance the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate society. The university values seeking knowledge, leading with innovation and integrity, advancing diversity and inclusion, engaging locally and globally and embracing the responsible stewardship of resources. A critical component of the VolVision 2020 strategic plan is the transformation of academic advising to a model that focuses on providing undergraduates with consistent and holistic advising throughout their undergraduate experience and on integrating career and academic advising with experience learning.
College of Communication & Information website https://www.cci.utk.edu
Betty Bradley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Master’s Degree • Advising or related experience on a college/university campus • Experience working with a diverse population of undergraduate students • Strong oral and written communication skills • Ability to relate effectively with students, administrators, faculty, and staff • Administrative and organizational skills • Ability to utilize technology that supports both students and professional practice (MS Word, Excel, Student Information Systems, Degree Audits, Internet/On-line Resources and Support)
Preferred Qualifications • Educational background in the communication and information field • Minimum 1-2 years of academic advising experience • Experience conducting freshmen and/or transfer orientations