The Academic Advisor/Retention Coordinator works collaboratively with the Director of Academic Advising to implement the institutional vision for strong student advising strategies. The Academic Advisor will provide a safe comfortable atmosphere where students are encouraged to grow intellectually and personally. Advisors help students make positive decisions to move forward in their academic planning and educational goals.
- Develop measurable retention strategies and action plans for key student cohorts.
- Works directly with faculty and faculty advisors to gather information on students’ academic progress and attendance.
- Designs and conducts student retention workshops for faculty and staff.
- Works with all students to improve retention; build relationships among sites and foster a sense of community and support between staff and students.
- Knowledge of student retention strategies.
- Meets with students who are in less than good standing per the College’s academic standing policies.
- Provides direction to those students regarding services available and guides them through the appeal process.
- Provides consistent and accurate advising information to students through the web/portal and staff/faculty, as well as across departments to ensure that all disseminated information is consistently
- Advises students regarding academic interests, college offerings and requirements.
- Assist students in selecting courses and combinations of courses that reflect individual interests and academic preparedness. Interpret assessment scores and facilitate decisions with students regarding placement choices within their selected program of study.
- Meets with students and parents providing guidance and information on the college, it programs, and available student resources.
- Coordinates and collaborates with representatives from Academic Departments, and other campus departments in order to resolve student issues and develop quality improvement methods.
- Develop early alert initiatives and submit monthly reports to Director of Academic Advising.
- Participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the goals and objectives of the advising program.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information (FERPA Compliance).
- Maintain knowledge of all college policies and procedures, college grounds and facilities, registration process, and all services provided at the College.
- Maintain Academic Boost referrals
Go to: https://sowela.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=122&site=2
SOWELA is located in Lake Charles, Louisiana, in Calcasieu Parish. SOWELA Technical Community College has been educating the region’s workforce since 1940 when it first opened its doors to students. SOWELA Technical Community College currently has leadership in place that is focused on growth, further improving the academic experience and looking ahead toward the school’s future. SOWELA strives for excellence in teaching, training and service, and is committed to student success, integrity, collaboration, innovation, access and diversity. SOWELA offers associate degree, technical diploma, or certificate awards in 23 different programs, including petrochemical, automotive, aviation, culinary arts, graphic arts, nursing and allied health, and office systems. In the summer of 2014, SOWELA introduced the 16-week Fast Track Process Technology (PTEC) program, which provides a compressed pathway to an Associate of Applied Science in Process Technology to qualified students who already hold an Associate or higher-level degree.
Dedrick Smith, Director of academic Advising, firstname.lastname@example.org