The Academic Advisor Transfer Specialist is responsible for providing educational guidance and assistance to prospective UNO transfer students and collaborating with the Office of Enrollment Services (OES) staff on initiatives related to sustaining and expanding UNO’s transfer pipeline. The academic advisor transfer specialist is expected to be familiar with UNO’s academic programs, policies, and procedures, and to assist in planning and implementing the advising component of the Transfer Orientation Program.
- This position’s primary role is providing academic advising and support to transfer students to ensure a smooth transition to UNO
- Collaborating with OES staff on transfer student recruiting, including accompanying staff on visits to community colleges
- Providing transfer students with their initial transfer credit evaluation
- Meeting with transfer students about questions or concerns regarding their transfer credit evaluation
- Working collaboratively with OES, the Registrar’s Office, Academic Affairs, and partner institutions to develop and refine articulation agreements and transfer pipelines to UNO
- Presenting workshops/information sessions to transfer students to ensure a smooth transition to UNO
- Analyzing and interpreting student data and placement test results, advising students about degree requirements, appropriate course loads, course selection, and special transfer opportunities at UNO.
- Providing up-to-date transfer information on courses, scholarships, articulation agreements for students, faculty, and staff
- Participating in specific weekend and evening events during the year, including, but not limited to, open houses, admitted student, and orientation events
- Collaborating with college advisors on the transferability of external courses and their equivalents at UNO, and designing and updating related promotional materials
- Teach section(s) of a Transfer Student Seminar course and/or collaborate, design, and implement curricula and strategies as they relate to a Transfer Student Seminar course
- Performing similar or related duties as assigned.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title in the email subject line.
Your Work Will Be Important: UNO provides an excellent, affordable education to students from our region and from around the world, enhancing understanding, prosperity, and the quality of life in Louisiana, the nation, and the globe. You Will Collaborate with Skilled Colleagues in a Positive Environment: UNO employees are intelligent, congenial professionals from many different places and walks of life. Your Career Development Will Be a Priority: UNO not only educates our students; we educate our employees too. From course tuition waivers to continuing education seminars, you will have opportunities to grow professionally. New Orleans Ranked in Most Family-Friendly Cities: New Orleans ranks #6 in the 2019 Homes.com index of most family-friendly cities.
The University of New Orleans is an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age if 40 or older, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution, preferably in student development, counseling, education or a related field from an accredited institution; prior work experience working with students in a higher education setting related to advising, student support or student development; excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; strong organizational ability with attention to detail and accuracy; and proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other office technology.
At least two years’ experience working in an advising capacity in higher education; experience with EAB SSC Campus; working knowledge of computerized registration and degree audit systems; and experience interpreting and administering academic policies.