The College of Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno is seeking to fill an Academic Advisor position. The Academic Advisor works as part of the advising team to provide academic advising, which includes advising incoming freshmen, transfers, current, prospective students, and non-degree students in planning academic programs, course sequencing and other transition functions for undergraduate students into pre-majors, majors, and minors. The Advisor provides expertise in core curriculum, identifies major program requirements, and guides students through the major exploration process. The Advisor will participate in retention activities for the students and works as a team member with the other department advisors and various entities on campus to address and manage student concerns and needs for graduation. This Academic Advisor reports to the Academic Advising Coordinator.
- Advise CoEN incoming freshmen and sophomores, current, and prospective students and their parents regarding appropriate class selection for major and professional goals with CoEN disciplines
- Advise incoming transfer students (all four undergraduate levels) on equivalency of incoming transfer work. Approve course waivers and substitutions.
- Assess students for needed academic requirements and provide expertise and communicate academic requirements in core curriculum, CoEN major programs, and university policies and procedures
- Provide individual and group student advising
- Provide new students with class registration information and support
- Perform the initial evaluation on transfer work for all departments
- Participate in planning and presenting summer orientation for new students
- Declare students in CoEN majors
- Create and maintain individual student records and maintain database of student contacts
- Refer students to other campus offices as appropriate
- Assemble monthly report of advisor contacts within the CoEN
- Create materials for advising for all departments
- Plan and implement CoEN portion of freshmen student orientation sessions
- Update and maintain the Engineering Student Handbook
- Provide day-to-day leadership and direction to student workers in the office including managing workflow, establishing professional standards and providing training
- Chart a path to timely graduation in all majors/minors using curriculum mapping
- Process Academic Requirement Report (ARR) corrections and discrepancies in compliance with the requirements of the Office of Admissions and Records in consultation with Academic Advisor
- Work with Registrar’s Office for administration of advising holds
- Plan, prepare and participate in assigned CoEN Advisement Center retention activities
- Analyze retention data
- Contribute to the assessment of the Engineering Advisement Center
- Participate in professional development workshops/events
- Serve as liaison between the Engineering Advisement Center and other campus entities
Apply online at : https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UNR-external/job/University-of-Nevada-Reno---Main-Campus/Academic-Advisor_R0116496-1
For more information please visit https://www.unr.edu/engineering. EEO/AA Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Bachelors and two (2) years OR a Masters and one (1) year of related work experience. Related Experience: academic advising or closely related field.
The successful candidate must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, advanced computer skills, and strong organizational, decision making, and interpersonal skills.