This is an entry level, full time, professional, academic advising, position in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Academic Advising Center. It includes academic advising, teaching a first-year student seminar, and providing administrative support to the Assistant Director. The person in this position should have an interest in working with students. The Advising Center is a service organization whose constituents are undergraduate students.
- Provide academic advising to undergraduate students in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, including information about requirements, help with course selection and academic program planning.
- Help students in academic difficulty and, if necessary, refer to appropriate campus offices.
- Assist with various functions in the Advising Center including orientation, training, teaching and administration.
- Strong administrative skills with attention to detail for updating detailed academic requirements and information.
- Teach a one credit student seminar including, curriculum planning and student evaluation.\
- Undertake special projects for the benefit of the college, such as advising research, evaluations and programming for students and staff.
- Facilitate outreach efforts utilizing campus systems to effectively communicate information on behalf of the academic advising center.
- This includes using the College blog and updating the Advising Center website.
- Support students pursuing combination bachelors/masters programs housed in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences.
- Other duties as assigned
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.