As a unit of the College of the Liberal Arts, Liberal Arts Undergraduate Advising collaborates with students to design academic plans that incorporate their academic career and personal goals while meeting the standards of the undergraduate degree and providing a framework upon which students can develop intellectually, socially, and professionally. Liberal Arts advisers approach their work with students holistically by acknowledging the diverse backgrounds from which students come, considering students’ co-curricular interests, fostering creativity and citizenship. We believe in supporting students in defining success for themselves and making meaning of their experiences. We are seeking someone who is committed to the values of The College of the Liberal Arts: communication, critical thinking, ethical leadership, and global awareness. The Pennsylvania State University is committed to ensuring that diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the success of a world-class research institution, and The College of the Liberal Arts strives to increase and support diversity and fully include members of underrepresented groups among students, staff, and faculty. We seek a candidate who will provide academic advising to undergraduate Liberal Arts students and students in other Colleges interested in entering the College of the Liberal Arts
- advising students on academic policies and procedures; resolving procedural academic problems;
- monitoring progress of student advisees; maintaining confidentiality of student records;
- serving as first point of contact regarding your major(s) for assigned academic department(s), other Penn State locations, and student services offices;
- consulting with Department Heads and Undergraduate Officers on departmental initiatives in undergraduate education as assigned;
- assisting with the development of strategies to meet goals;
- participating in undergraduate orientation, registration activities, and presentations to students and families;
- coordinating a project or program, related to student success, advising strategies, diversity and inclusion, or data analysis, for the unit or the College and acting as a liaison to units in the University affiliated with that project or program;
- assisting in student recruitment through formal presentations, meetings with prospective students and families, and participation in programs for prospective students;
- and representing the College at on-campus and off-campus events and programs that may require occasional weekend and evening hours.
For more information on the College please visit: http://www.la.psu.edu/current-students/undergraduate-students/about. Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.