The pre-health advisor is a member of the Pre-Professional Advising team within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) Academic Advising Center. This position works specifically with students interested in the following pre-health bachelor degree programs at UIC: nursing, health information management, human nutrition, and public health. In this role, the pre-health advisor engages undergraduate students in promoting their academic, professional, and overall development from their orientation to graduation. In individual appointments the pre-health advisor evaluates students’ progress in pre-health related course work and provides education and guidance on the pre-health fields that award bachelors-level degrees at UIC (specifically pre-nursing, pre-human nutrition, pre-public health, and pre-health information management), including course registration and selection and available University resources. The pre-health advisor also develops and facilitates workshops and group information sessions on topics of interest to students with those specific pre-health educational goals. The Pre-Professional Advising team is the chief resource for pre-health and pre-law information at the University and works with students from across the University as well as alumni. As such, the pre-health advisor is a primary resource for students in personal statement development, mock interviewing and interview skills, and assisting students in identifying appropriate pre-health professions and programs. Opportunities also exist for teaching a first-year seminar course, thereby supporting students in their transition to college and the University to further encourage academic success and development.
- Engages in individual advising appointments, walk-in advising sessions, group advising sessions, and email/phone communication with current and incoming undergraduate students and transfer students for the purpose of evaluating students’ progress in pre-health related course work, course registration and selection, and available University resources.
- Provides education and guidance on bachelor-level pre-health fields and programs, so that students may develop a broader understanding of health professions fields and the competitive nature of the application processes.
- Identifies current and potential needs of students.
- Intervenes, and refers students to resources throughout the University community, as appropriate.
- Exercises professional discretion and judgment to trouble-shoot problems as they arise.
- Documents each academically pertinent interaction with individual students for the purpose of maintaining a centralized database of all LAS students, and updates the computerized information system, as needed, to ensure that student records reflect degree progress and academic status accurately.
- Participates in and leads first-year and transfer orientation sessions for both fall and spring entry to UIC.
- Creates and facilitates workshops and group advising sessions on topics of interest to pre-health students.
- Assists students in the process of developing personal statements for health professions programs, including support in idea formulation and writing, reviewing personal statement drafts, and providing written and/or verbal feedback.
- Provides coaching and verbal feedback on mock interviews for students applying to health professions programs.
- Conducts mock interviews in person and provides constructive criticism on content and delivery of interview responses.
- Teaches a section of LAS 103: Introduction to Health Care, a first-year seminar course for new LAS students, which exposes them to different health professions and careers as well as hot topics within healthcare.
- Participates on committees or teams, as assigned, which involve contributing to one or more of the following: the development of student initiatives and programs to promote student success, development, and retention; degree certification; special admission decisions; scholarship award decisions; petition decisions; and the development of the advisor training program and professional development initiatives.
- Participates in regular LAS Student Academic Affairs staff meetings and professional development activities to expand knowledge and maintain currency.
- Serves as a College representative for select admissions events/initiatives.
- Educates prospective students and their family/friends about LAS degree programs, pre-health support and initiatives, and aids in the recruitment of new LAS students.
- Assists in the facilitation of training and development of new advisors, as needed.
- Performs other related duties and participates in special projects, as assigned or necessary.
For fullest consideration, please submit an on-line application at https://jobs.uic.edu, click on the job board and then the job and upload a resume, cover letter and the names and emails of three references by February 20, 2018.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans. The University may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be conducted in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.